Closing: 8/27/2021 11:59pm EST
Hiring Range: $51,416 – $66,725 annually
The Budget and Management Services Department works to solve Durham’s biggest challenges. We are innovators, managing City resources like they’re our own, guiding the City’s future through strategic planning and encouraging a culture of innovation and continuous improvement through special projects, partnerships and trainings. If innovating to solve challenges drives you, too, join our team in Durham! Devoted to providing clerical and/or office support activities for city functions and staff. Incumbents assigned to this class perform complex and advanced administrative support for the City’s top executives; perform paraprofessional management analysis work; or supervise an administrative support unit of non-exempt employees. Decision-making involves the coordination of transactions and processes at the highest level of standard operating tasks, including providing direction to lower level staff in the execution of operational tasks and review and verification of work.
Responsible for budget coordination; basic analysis; logistical support for politically sensitive and high-visibility programs; basic research, compiling data and formulating preliminary recommendations; creating reports; coordinating workflow; and developing, proposing and implementing operational policies and procedures. Work involves outreach and collaboration with all levels of the organization as well as outside agencies, citizens and elected officials.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates department fiscal activities that may include budget development and budget administration; compiles data and performs basic analyses; and coordinates contract processing/administration and/or procurement activities
- Conducts basic research, maintains statistics, performs basic analysis and/or statistical calculations and formulates preliminary recommendations
- As assigned, serves as a lead worker, assigning work and monitoring work completion or serves as a supervisor including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline and termination procedures.
- Provides logistical support for politically sensitive and high-visibility programs and events, including programs and events involving the city council; serves as escalation point for resolving customer services issues/inquiries; ensures follow up communication and quality assurance.
- Gathers and compiles data; extracts information from data systems; drafts reports from others notes or own research; prepares documents, reports, presentations, confidential correspondence and policy/procedure manuals.
- Serves as lead user for specialized databases and software systems; participates in database and/or software testing; coordinates workflow and implements improvements to processes.
- Provides general administrative support to the city’s top executives including receiving and processing calls, visitors and correspondence; calendaring; records management; customer service; mail processing; quality assurance and follow-up.
- Associate’s degree in business or related field.
- Three years of advanced administrative support experience.
- Some assignments may require a North Carolina Public Notary registration.