Closing: 11/9/2020 11:59 PM Eastern
Hiring Range: $92,937 – $111,500 annually
This position is devoted to providing strategic direction and management oversight to the City-County Planning Department, ensuring implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, City, County and Departmental Strategic Plans, racial equity initiatives, and work program and budget development and administration. Incumbents oversee all administrative, strategic, and policy planning for the department, and serve as a second level supervisor reporting directly to the department director.
Responsible for making interpretive decisions on behalf of the organization regarding the means for executing the goals established by the relevant Director subject to constraints imposed by available technology and resources. Such interpretive decisions provide context for the work to be accomplished by subordinates supervised within the units managed. Incumbents are typically assigned to serve as director in the absence of the director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages the implementation of internal operations for an assigned division; plans, coordinates, administers, and evaluates programs, projects, processes, procedures, systems, standards, and/or services; integrates operations and coordinates service areas; and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, codes, and/or standards.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates policies, procedures, strategies and goals; maintains, updates, and ensures procedural compliance; researches, analyzes, and makes recommendations for business process improvements and cost effectiveness; and designs, administers, and evaluates department programs and services.
- Manages and participates in the preparation of department operating budgets; monitors expenditures and revenues; researches and analyzes financial and operational data; prepares financial forecasts; and approves and makes budget and purchasing recommendations.
- Coordinates with, and serves as a liaison to the City Council, general public, City departments, and/or external agencies; serves on internal and external committees; represents the department at meetings, proceedings, and conferences; provides consultation in area of expertise; and responds to high-visibility and complex issues.
- Coordinates the preparation of, and prepares and reviews complex, technical, financial, and other reports, plans, and documents; coordinates operations data collection and analysis; develops, makes and/or approves recommendations; and reviews the work of others to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in city or regional planning, public administration, or a directly related field
- Nine years of progressively responsible related experience
- Professional experience must include significant management and supervisory experience.