Closing: Open until filled
Hiring Range: $92,000 – $96,500 annually
The Town of Wake Forest seeks an energetic and team-oriented individual for the position of Assistant Finance Director. This position performs complex professional and difficult administrative and financial work in organizing, planning, and overseeing financial activities of the Town. The Finance Department supports and partners with other Town departments and external organizations to provide efficient and effective customer service to residents, vendors, and employees.
The successful candidate should have five to ten years of progressive accounting/financial reporting experience in a mid to large size local government with strong background in grant administration. In addition, the Town seeks a self-starting individual who is an independent thinker, has a sense of urgency in completing tasks, detailed oriented, supervisory experience along with a strong technical background.
This position serves as the Town’s chief accounting officer. Work involves supervision of the accounting, customer service and purchasing operations. Work is performed in accordance with established municipal finance procedures, local ordinances, and North Carolina General Statutes governing the responsibilities of local government financial operations. This position works under the general direction of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Performance is evaluated through meetings with the CFO, reports, observation, and by an independent audit of financial records.
Essential Duties & Tasks:
- Oversees the general ledger activities including accounts payable, payroll, receivables, and other entries; reviews and prepares reconciliations of general ledger accounts; reviews and prepares journal entries; and oversees the capital asset and depreciation processes.
- Administers activities for the annual audit and directs/coordinates preparation of annual financial report.
- Manages grant accounting and reporting program for the Town – assures compliance with grant stipulations; and assists departments with grant application and reimbursement requirements.
- Prepares mandated state and federal reports.
Education and Experience: Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in accounting or business and considerable experience in public finance administration or governmental accounting setting including some supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical Requirements: Work in this class is generally sedentary, requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects. Work requires standing, walking, fingering, feeling, and repetitive motions. Verbal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels. Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
- Possession of a North Carolina Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certificate preferred.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Hours of work: Monday- Friday, 8:00am- 5:00pm. The Town offers an excellent benefits package. To apply please go to https://www.wakeforestnc.gov/human-resources/employment-opportunities. All inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.