Closing: 8/15/2021 11:59pm EST
Salary Range: $65,083 – $100,942 annually
The Town of Garner Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources is seeking an Assistant Director to work closely with the Director to provide leadership and management to the nationally accredited department. This position will assist the Director in the planning and implementation of recreational and cultural programs, supervision and coaching of staff, operations and budgeting, and marketing and audience development. The successful candidate will have a established track record managing or supervising recreational, sports or athletics, or cultural programs. Experience managing six or seven figure budgets within a local government or comparable institution is highly preferred. Knowledge and demonstrable experience in marketing and audience development and strong communication skills are a must. Prior supervisory experience is required.
The incumbent will perform complex professional and administrative work planning, directing and managing the service operations, budgets and personnel of multiple teams in a municipal parks, recreation and cultural resources system; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision. Supervision is exercised over designated departmental staff.
Examples of Duties:
- Plans, directs coordinates and supervises day to day operations of parks, recreation and cultural programs, services, facilities and staff; promotes programs, prepares reports and coordinates work with other departments; assists Director with personnel and public information matters.
- Plans, organizes, promotes and directs, through subordinate managers, comprehensive athletic, parks and recreation programs and special events, including town-wide special events such as the July 3rd Independence Day Celebration and the Christmas Parade;
- Prepares and helps administer department policies and procedures and operational budgets; assists in identifying and accessing resources to improve overall service delivery effectiveness;
- Directs personnel and activities of multiple programming and facility teams to ensure implementation and success of departmental and Town goals and objectives;
- Evaluates community needs and effectiveness of programs by working with Town officials, community groups and individuals; attends and represents the department at public meetings; identifies and responds to community concerns consistent with established policies;
- Prepares reports, correspondence and evaluations; works on special projects and leads several departmental efforts and initiatives, including the national accreditation process;
- Assists the Director in evaluating the adequacy of existing facilities and in the development of strategies to ensure the current and future needs are meet;
- Assists the Director in administering and overseeing service contracts and agreements related to the operation of a municipal parks and recreation system;
- Serves as acting Director in the absence of the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Director;
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Applicants must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Parks & Recreation, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of five years of full-time experience in a senior leadership position (manager or above) with a parks, recreation, cultural resources or similar public-facing agency or organization providing leisure, entertainment, or life-long learning programs.
- A minimum of five years of supervisory experience.
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional, Certified Special Events Professional is preferred, or the ability to obtain such certification within 24 months of employment.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
- Note: In addition to thoroughly completing the employment application, a position-specific cover letter and a current resume are required to be attached.