Closing: 10/12/2020 5:00 PM Eastern
Hiring Range: $104,916 – $139,887 annually
The Office of State Budget and Management is excited to announce that we are looking to hire an Assistant State Budget Officer, permanent full-time position, for our Budget Execution section. This is an anticipated vacancy.
OSBM is the primary fiscal advisor to the Governor. The Office works with senior officials across State government in negotiating and developing evidence-informed recommendations for the Governor’s annual budget, and monitor program performance to identify opportunities to improve program efficiency and effectiveness. Work at OSBM is high-impact public service, with staff providing strategic and financial analysis in education, health care, criminal justice, economic development, mental health, environmental regulation, transportation, human services, energy and other public policy areas.
The budget execution section at OSBM provides oversight for all areas of state government and works with all agencies and institutions on budget administration, ensuring consistency across agencies and compliance with relevant laws and policies. This section is engaged in an transformative change management process to reduce the number of routine budgetary transactions in order to focus on more strategic budget issues. This position will lead those continuing efforts with a team of eleven dedicated state budget and management analysts.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities / Competencies:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration and state government budgeting and accounting in North Carolina, especially budget preparation and execution.
- Thorough knowledge of governmental finances and institutional fund accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations applicable to the area of employment.
- Thorough knowledge of state governmental fiscal and budgetary processes.
- Thorough knowledge of office management and organizational concepts.
- Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of associates, legislators, other public officials, and the public.
- Ability to manage and direct complex financial management systems.
- Ability to interpret and analyze financial data and reports.
- Ability to interpret complicated federal and state statutes, rules and regulations pertaining to applicable programs.
- Ability to manage professional analysts and administrative staff.
- Proficiency in organizing and presenting clear oral and written reports of findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrated proficiency in financial and program analyses.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance or related field from an appropriately accredited institution and seven (7) years of progressive related experience preferably in governmental accounting or budgeting, including one (1) year in advanced analyst or administrative capacity, and three (3) years of which must have been supervisory in nature; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Master’s degree in the disciplines of public administration, public policy, planning, business, economics, or a related field from an accredited institution. Governmental experience involving the executive and legislative budget processes.
Management is requesting that applicants submit the following documents attached to their online application:
1. A detailed cover letter that should address:
a) the applicant requirements listed above
b) employment or educational experience relevant to the position
c) reasons for interest in working at OSBM
2. A current resumé (maximum length – 2 pages)
Supplemental and Contact Information
Applicants are encouraged to submit an online State Application which may be obtained from the following address: http://www.oshr.nc.gov/jobs/index.html to the Human Resources Division of OSBM by 5:00 pm on the closing date or the application will be deemed untimely and will not be processed.
All Required Competencies, Work history and Credentials must appear on the application in the Education and Work Experience sections of the application form to receive consideration during the selection process. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the State Application form. “See Attached Resume or an Embedded Text Resume” will be considered incomplete and will not be processed.
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. Transcripts for foreign degrees have to be evaluated by an organization like World Education Services to determine US equivalency.
The Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applicants requesting and receiving an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are eligible to submit paper applications via mail or by fax reference the contact information below. All applicants should indicate the position number and job title in the section “Jobs Applied For”.
Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with your application.
Please refrain from submitting multiple applications. However, if multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).
For further information please contact:
Melissa Sincebaugh, Human Resources Business Partner
Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM)