Salary/Pay Rate: $58,391 – $86,936
PURPOSE OF CLASS: Under general direction of the Administrative Services Director, performs responsible professional work regarding the Town’s financial management and related operations; performs related work as required. This position is classified as exempt under the Administrative Exemption and is not subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime regulations.
- Plans and organizes financial management of the Town which includes treasury management, debt service, auditing, budgeting, planning, and reporting.
Advises the Administrative Services Director on all matters pertaining to Town finances.
- Responsible for Town investments.
- Participates in the development of departmental goals and objectives and records related measures as assigned.
- Ensures Town financial records and reports comply with established and accepted municipal accounting principles and practices.
- Provides sufficient detail to produce adequate cost, financial and statistical data for management purposes and to meet statutory requirements.
- Validates the disbursement of all Town funds in accordance with officially established procedures.
- Responsible for pre-audit duties for the Town.
- Monitors budget expenditures.
- Advises the Administrative Services Director on necessary budget amendments and budget transfers and prepares such for appropriate approval.
- Prepares financial statements, cost reports and statements of receipts and expenditures at regular intervals.
- Prepares long range forecasts of revenues and expenditures as required.
- Presents financial forecast information to Town Council as instructed.
- Ensures that all state and federal laws are complied with in administering grant funds.
- Administers the Town’s debt service program.
- Prepares required monthly, quarterly and annual reports pertaining to the Town’s finances.
- Prepares the annual proposed budget.
- Assist in the preparation, control and administration of the Town’s operating and capital improvement program budgets.
- Compiles requests and estimates for presentation at budget committee meetings.
- Presents proposed annual operating budget to Town Council.
- Responsible for preparation of the annual budget document and submission to Government Finance Officers Association.
- Assists auditors in preparing the Town’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Assists external auditors with annual audit.
- Serves as Town’s Risk Manager, administering insurance policies, analyzing loss exposure and developing risk management techniques.
- Responds to a variety of citizen inquiries and complaints as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
EQUIPMENT OPERATED: Microsoft Office suite, calculator, copier, and other assigned equipment as required.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This position reports to the Administrative Services Director.
- Employee is not subjected to adverse environmental conditions.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operation functions of fingering, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform sedentary work occasionally exerting 10 pounds of force.
- Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze figures, perform accounting, transcription, operate a computer terminal and perform extensive reading.
JOB CONTEXT: This position works 40 hours per week during the seven day workweek. Weekends and overtime are sometimes necessary to fulfill job duties. The stress level of the job is low to moderate.
QUALIFICATIONS OF CLASS:
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in finance, accounting, business management, or related field. Certified Public Accountant preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Considerable financial management experience; local government financial experience preferred; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of general laws, ordinances and administrative policies governing municipal financial practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the Town’s financial program, policies, records and related practices.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and budgeting in local governments.
- Ability to formulate and install standard accounting methods, procedures, forms and records, including internal auditing.
- Ability to prepare informative financial reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with Town employees and governmental officials.
- Ability to perform fiscal planning and to advise the Administrative Services Director on the formulation of fiscal policy.
The Town of Knightdale is an Equal Opportunity Employer.