Closing: August 2, 2019
Recruitment Range: $50,498 – $68,538 annually
Performs responsible professional work in the preparation and analysis of the City’s annual budget in the Budget and Evaluation Division of the City’s Administration Office; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Budget & Performance Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the preliminary and final compilation of the recommended annual operating budget and capital improvement budget for the City; records changes made by City Council
- Assists in the preparation of supporting budget documentation, including revenue projections, statistical data and other financial information;
- Aids in the designing, implementation, and monitoring of the performance/efficiency measurement system for the various city departments;
- Analyzes current operating expenditures and the estimates of future expenditures;
- Consults with City departments and other administrators on matters of budgetary management and control;
- Assists in the preparation of supporting documentation of the Compiled
- Budget for inclusion in the Continuing Disclosure Statement;
- Assists in the compilation and reconciliation of budget amendments to the financial management system;
- Prepares informational materials on budget proposals;
- Conducts special management studies as assigned and presents findings and recommendations;
- Monitors revenue and expenditure patterns and recommends financial corrective measures as required;
- Studies, devises and recommends revisions of systems and forms to promote efficiency and production;
- Provides and verifies information to other departments;
- Prepares monthly and quarterly budget reports;
- Assesses, reviews and analyzes assigned departmental budget requests and makes appropriate recommendations as to funding levels using objective analytical methodology and established policy criteria;
- Assists departmental staff with budget issues and concerns;
- Ability to collect and evaluate integrity of data, analyze data, and interpret and present results of data;
- Reviews, analyzes and makes recommendations on the fiscal and programmatic impact of operational and service initiatives;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have some knowledge of the functions and operations of municipal organizations;
- Possess general knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and techniques of municipal accounting, finance and budgeting;
- Good knowledge of the state laws and local ordinances applicable to budget preparation approval and administration;
- Ability to analyze and develop budget estimates; ability to conduct detailed research and prepare reports and findings;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees, the news media and the general public.
- Must possess the ability to withstand pressure situations and willingness to work extra hours to meet budgetary deadlines
Education and Experience
Formal education which includes graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration.
- MPA or MBA;
- Some experience in administrative or financial operations;
- Prior governmental budgeting experience.