Closing: August 11, 2016
Salary Range: $52,789 to 69,286 annually
Want to make an impact on your community by helping to fund services that will benefit your neighbors and friends? Come work for the “Best in Class” Mecklenburg County Government in its nationally renowned Office of Management & Budget (OMB). OMB, which is often sought out by other governments for our best practices, is recruiting to fill a Budget Analyst position.
Bring your skills to bear in innovative ways to enhance the quality of life for residents in your community. In addition to having a positive impact on public service, we invest in our employees! Each budget analyst has a dedicated professional development allocation to attend local, state, and national trainings and conferences to enhance your skills. Our team has a long track record of serving on numerous boards and committees including the NC Local Budget Association and the Government Finance Officers Association. OMB is an organization that develops leaders. Our office consists of a credible team of experienced budget analysts who are great advisors, mentors and quality trainers. So why is Mecklenburg County constantly in recruitment mode? Because there are endless opportunities for upward mobility within the organization – hence the need to consistently recruit talented individuals. After a successful stint with OMB, our team is afforded opportunities to become middle-managers, department heads, assistant City/County managers, and managers.
We take pride in having a vibrant diverse workplace culture that ranges in ethnicity, gender, and generations. We have a workplace culture that is based on an inspirational set of organizational values that include trust, creativity, team work, and empowered employees who are involved in decision making. Mecklenburg County has a Human Resources Department that offers a curriculum of educational courses that focus on equipping employees with requisite leadership, management, and supervisory skills to better perform in their jobs. Mecklenburg County is a billion-dollar (+) organization with over 5,000 employees and led by a manager who is well respected by the community and our governing body. Come join our winning team!
- Assist in preparing, analyzing, and coordinating the annual budget process with a holistic approach for a $1.6 billion budget.
- Serve as primary point of contact for assigned departments for budget analysis matters.
- Work in an environment that will require serving on a team of budget analysts to complete major assignments.
- Work independently to complete assignments that require thorough complex management, budgetary, financial, organizational, problem solving skills
- Provide consulting, project management, training and support to assigned County departments in all areas of budgeting, forecasting, and variance analysis.
- Perform a variety of ad-hoc financial analysis as requested by management, agency directors or elected county officials.
- Prepare reports for executive management with departmental input; formulate management recommendations and make presentations.
- Lead or participate in research and evaluation of policies and best practices to develop recommendations for process improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, economics, or closely related field with major course work in an analytical discipline.
- Two years of experience in one of the following areas: budget development or program analysis. A combination of education and experience/training will be considered.
- A Masters in Public Administration is preferred.
- Experience in government/public sector is strongly preferred.
- You must be proficient in Microsoft Office products and have a thorough knowledge of principles of public administration including organization, public policy and fiscal management.
- You must be able to effectively handle confidential/sensitive matters and effectively communicate orally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
- Our office is a fast-paced environment; you must be able to set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of financial systems and/or statistical analysis tools a plus.