Closing: January 20, 2016
Hiring Salary: $50,934-$68,761 Annually
New Hanover County is seeking a Strategy and Budget Analyst to become part of a dynamic, professional county organization with a clear vision as a vibrant, prosperous, diverse coastal community, committed to building a sustainable future for generations to come. This position is responsible for assisting with the development, preparation, administration, and analysis of the more than $300 million enterprise-wide budget to advance the county strategic goals and annual priorities.
This position consults with New Hanover County departments to develop innovative solutions to budgetary and operational challenges, assisting with the development of their annual operating budgets, helping to develop performance measurements, providing training to end-users of the budget software and assisting in the preparation of agenda items. Additionally, this position monitors the County’s operating budget, gathers financial data and researches trends and cost saving measures to provide County management with recommendations and projections. The ideal candidate is a team player who possesses excellent communication skills, collaborative problem solving abilities, and an understanding of public agency budgeting and analysis.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, or Management Science with at least three (3) years of professional experience in public finance or budget administration; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- Knowledge of principles and methods of public agency accounting and budgeting
- Ability to understand and perform financial, statistical and program analysis
- Skilled with computer software to review data, perform analysis and prepare reports
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and county laws
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong analytical skills; ability to analyze data to determine trends and make recommendations to leadership
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a positive “can do” attitude
- Ability to remain flexible to meet changing demands
- Ability to demonstrate superior customer service, collaborative and consultative working style, integrity, and creative problem solving and commitment to innovation, efficiency and accountability
A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field and at least three (3) years of closely related, accounting, budget development, or analytical experience.
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Trainng
Proficiency in Microsoft Office products; working knowledge of budget and financial systems; thorough knowledge of principles of public administration including organization, public policy and fiscal management; Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy or Business Administration; experience with MUNIS financial system a plus.
The current salary range for this position is $50,934 – $86,588. The hiring range for this position is $50,934 – $68,761 + a competitive benefits package. Salary is negotiable within the hiring range, depending on qualifications.