Closing: 11/15/2020 11:59 PM Eastern
Salary: unpaid internship
The Budget department works closely with the County Manager in developing and administering the County’s annual and capital budgets, performing program evaluations, and ensuring compliance with applicable policies, laws, and standard accepted budgetary controls and practices. The department leads the coordination of the annual budget process, and performs analytical and policy guidance functions for purposes of evaluating requests, forecasting financial trends for revenues and expenditures, and making recommendations to the County Manager. Buncombe County’s budget totals over $450 million, including $337 in the general fund. Work in the Buncombe County Budget Department is cross functional and provides a broad exposure to county operations. Staff provide strategic, financial, and economic analysis for the entire county.
The Buncombe County Budget Office is offering an internship for Spring 2021 (January through April). Depending on planned projects and applicants’ qualifications and interest, interns will likely be asked to:
- Attend county departmental budget development & request sessions
- Research policies and practices in other jurisdictions
- Brief the budget director on departmental budget requests
- Assist with ad hoc projects, which may include:
- Capital project reporting
- Fee schedule aggregation
- Annual budget document development
Qualified applicants should have:
- Interest in county government and budget development
- Ability to communicate complex and technical ideas clearly and effectively
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Related coursework in public policy analysis, public budgeting, economics, and/or finance
The internship is open to current graduate and undergraduate students. The internship is unpaid and is expected to be up to 15 hours per week, depending on applicants’ availability. The internship will include a combination of telecommuting and in-office work.
Apply through the Buncombe County website, including resume and cover letter. In the ‘Experience’ section of the application, please list all relevant coursework.
Interviews are expected to take place in early December with an anticipated start date of January 11, 2021.