Closing: 9/30/2021 11:59pm EST
Salary Range: $57,289 – $65,883 annually
This position is located in the County’s Budget section and the work involves performing professional research and analytical duties in the preparation, communication and execution of the County’s operating and capital improvement budgets, financial planning, financial evaluation of programs and special research projects.
Examples of Duties:
- Assesses, reviews and analyzes assigned departmental budget requests and makes appropriate recommendations as to funding levels using objective analytical methodology and established policy criteria
- Periodically reviews departmental expenditure and revenue collection patterns to identify potential financial problems and recommends corrective action
- Assists in the development of Capital Improvement Plan to facilitate planning and implementation of necessary capital investments
- Reviews, analyzes and makes recommendation on the fiscal and programmatic impact of operational and service initiatives
- Assists in evaluating county programs and services to determine efficiency and effectiveness and to assess the achievement of established goals and objectives using key performance indicators
- Conducts special management studies as assigned and presents findings and recommendations
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Salary will be determined by applicant’s qualifying education & experience
- Graduation from a college or university with a major in accounting, economics, public administration, finance or related field and at least two (2) years of experience in budget administration.
- Budget experience in local government preferred
- College transcripts may be submitted on-line via the attachment feature or mailed to Cumberland County Human Resources, 117 Dick St. Fayetteville, NC 28301. If selected for the position, a formal transcript will be required within 30 days of hire.
- Successful completion of Basic Math, Reading Comprehension, Spelling, Intermediate Word & Excel and PowerPoint will be required. Candidates selected as highly qualified will be contacted via email by Human Resources to set up testing. Make sure to check the email address on your application for letters about testing. Some email servers may see correspondence as spam, so it is important to check your junk email as well.
- Driving is an essential function of this position. To be considered, you must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record. If your driver’s license is from another state, you will be required to obtain and show proof of a valid NC driver’s license within 60 days of hire.
- Background check and negative drug screening are required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of public accounting practices and procedures
- Considerable knowledge of laws, rules, regulations, policies and practices to follow in the accounting function
- Considerable knowledge of accounting systems, policies, procedures and considerable knowledge of computer operations and applications related to accounting and financial analysis and reporting along with considerable knowledge of the use of spreadsheets for fiscal trend and analysis
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply laws, policies, grant requirement in the development and maintenance of a variety of financial records and reports
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, perform trend analysis and prepare clear and concise reports
- Ability to use a calculator and a computer for the maintenance of accounting and other fiscal record
- Ability to make computations accurately and with reasonable speed and the ability to verify account and other financial documents and forms for accuracy and completeness
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department heads, vendors, employees and the general public
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms