Closing: 6/2/2021 11:59pm EST
Hiring Range: $51,246 – $59,280 annually
Our highly motivated, service-oriented staff provides strategic, innovative leadership and daily management of City operations. Ours is a dynamic, fast-paced environment in which staff regularly engage with department directors, employees across the organization, and the public to ensure our community is well-served. We foster a culture of service and encourage professional development and growth for staff. If challenging, meaningful work excites you, join our team in Durham!
To perform highly complex research and analytical studies in support of organizational performance and community safety. Develops and analyzes performance metrics, conducts studies, prepares and presents special reports providing sufficient detail to support organizational and departmental long-term planning, problem-solving, and management action. Provides professional support in the form of advanced analytical, communication, and coordination services to the City Manager’s Office directly or through departmental assignments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts a variety of research and other assigned projects by compiling and reviewing internal and external organizational information, reviewing historical data, information and reports, and preparing position and issue papers. Based on findings, provides management reports and recommendations for executive leadership; analyzes problem areas in service delivery and formulates recommendations for improvements; prepares and presents reports or formal presentations as appropriate.
- Conducts research, evaluation and assessment of City programs. Gathers, synthesizes and analyzes data and performance metrics, including benchmarking and best practice data. Researches most effective methods of organizational operations via sources such as the Internet, periodicals and literature to ensure methods being used are the most current and effective.
- Performs special projects by planning and performing management analysis; providing budget analysis as necessary; communicating with other City employees and the general public; evaluating alternative solutions; and recommending actions and follow up tasks to provide resolution.
- Assists in the development and evaluation of a library of City wide indicators for the City Administration to use in assessing progress toward goals adopted in the Strategic Plan; serves as staff resource to the City Manager’s Office and departments.
- Consults with senior departmental managers and provides advice and counsel on management issues, organizational structure, feasibility, and the potential impact of varying courses of action; coordinates interdepartmental program elements with Citywide goals.
- Promotes communication by preparing a variety of materials to disseminate program and policy information on a departmental or Citywide basis on senior or executive management’s behalf.
- Assists management by constructing sensitive documents and correspondence, producing special research reports, and serving as liaison on internal and external issues, participating in task forces and special issue meetings and coordinating various projects.
- Performs related duties including managing multiple projects and long-term plans and reviewing established expectations for accuracy, validity and variances.
- Assist with the coordination of City Council meeting agendas.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration or related field
- Two years of professional experience in research and report writing
- Advanced skills in MS Office applications (PowerPoint and Excel)
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research
Additional Preferred Skills
- Master’s degree
- Experience supporting multiple managers
- Previous work experience with local government
- Project management skills
- Budget management
- Critical thinking
- Excellent writing skills