Closing: Open until filled, with first review of applications starting June 28, 2021
Hiring Range: $87,799 – $144,868 annually
Catawba County is recruiting a strategic self-motivated detail-oriented Chief Financial Officer who can see beyond the numbers and understands the importance of strong relationships in advancing the County’s big-picture operational and financial goals. This position works collaboratively with the County Manager, Deputy and Assistant County Managers, and Department Directors to carry out the goals, objectives, and policies established by the Board of Commissioners.
Click link for detailed flyer:
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Chief Financial Officer’s primary responsibility is to maintain control over the fiduciary duties of the organization while demonstrating impeccable stewardship of public resources. The ideal applicant will be highly accountable and trustworthy and will demonstrate strong initiative / action orientation.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage fund investment of County portfolio, ensuring principal investments are prudent and avoid unnecessary risks, and exercise strong stewardship in proactively pursuing debt restructuring as appropriate to minimize costs;
- Establish and maintain effective, efficient financial accounting systems in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles;
- Oversee preparation of Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and associated audit compliance;
- Plan, organize, and direct departmental activities carried out by a 16-member team: cash management, debt management, accounts payable / receivable, audit, payroll, capital project financing, fixed assets, and purchasing;
- In consultation with the County Manager’s Office, facilitate debt issuance for County-funded and County-affiliated capital projects for schools, hospitals, and general governmental uses;
- Serve as resource for departmental staff as needed, providing advice and consultation on financial matters and assisting in identifying problems and solutions;
- Prepare annual revenue and expense forecasts for use in budget development, in collaboration with Budget & Management; and
- Work with County Manager’s Office to prepare and present financial analyses to elected officials and other key stakeholders
- Master’s degree in Public Administration with 5 years’ experience in Governmental Accounting and Financial Management, including supervisory experience, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration with 7 years’ experience in Governmental Accounting and Financial Management, including supervisory experience
- Ability to think analytically to prioritize work, make data driven decisions, meet established deadlines, delegate duties and attend to details as appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate by example with excellent interpersonal and consensus-building skills, inspiring staff to high performance
- Capacity to work collaboratively and maintain effective relationships with Board of Commissioners, County Management, other county departments, advisory boards and committees, partner municipalities, state and federal regulatory agencies and institutions, vendors, and consultants;
- Impeccable judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions involving a variety of fiscal and business areas, and the ability to carry out that judgment with considerable professional and managerial discretion;
- Independent and self-directed initiative and drive, with the capacity to learn new things and the appetite to take on new challenges over time;
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills; accompanied by a strong capability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously;
- Competence in organizing, supervising, and evaluating the work of diverse teams and individuals;
- Familiarity with the organization and functions of County government;
- Extensive knowledge of principles and practices of governmental accounting, fiscal policies, and statutory requirements governing county funds;
- Exceptional customer service orientation; including strong traits of diplomacy, tact, patience, and empathy;
- Excellent communication, both written and oral, including strong command of grammar and the essential ability to communicate complex financial information in a manner that facilitates decision-making;
- Adaptability in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with changing job requirements and duties as they occur;
- Strong creative, analytical, and critical thinking skills;
- Valid driver’s license with a safe driving record; and
- Willingness to establish residency in Catawba County within reasonable timeframe after appointment.