Salary Range: Depends on qualifications
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.
The Office of Data and Performance Office (ODaP), a new cross-departmental function managed by the IT Services Department, will play a critical role in supporting these commitments. The function of the ODaP is to work with the City Manager and departments to embed data-driven, outcomes-based accountability, decision-making and transparency into the practices and processes of the organization.
The operating team you will join combines data and performance experts with staff from Equity & Inclusion, Community and Public Engagement, Budget, and the Police Department. The program is overseen by a Governance Board that includes management and staff from Legal, Police, Equity, Capital Projects, Community & Public Engagement, IT Services, Finance, the City Clerk’s office and the City Manager’s office.
We are excited to hire a full-time, Data Communication Specialist to help build our new Data and Performance program. This is an exciting opportunity to support positive change in our community and improved outcomes for the City’s programs and services.
You will work with members of the community, outside agencies, and staff across all departments to find ways to understand and present program performance and progress toward community goals in ways that are truly accessible, presenting not just numbers, but the stories behind the numbers. In order to tell those stories, you will engage in conversation with people directly impacted by City programs and services, as well as those directly involved in implementing and delivering them.
You will have the opportunity to use dashboards, story maps, slide presentations, and video, and are encouraged to explore new ways to communicate effectively both internally and externally. In addition, you will support our efforts to build a community of practice within the City organization through the data program newsletter, and the Data and Performance Hub and the Data and Performance Channel on our intranet.
As a core program team member, you will participate in the creation of a robust training program for City staff and support other program personnel in developing program performance measures and community indicators.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Data Preparation and Presentation – Collaborate with community and staff to create dashboards, visualizations, reports, and other presentations of community indicators and program performance measures and their underlying context and data. Assist in preparing data for analysis and presentation.
- Program Performance Communication Strategy – Work with the Communications and Public Engagement staff to develop communication strategies for program performance and community indicators.
- Internal communications – Produce the data program newsletter and lead content development on the City intranet. Collaborate with program and department staff to maintain a regular stream of content to support staff in their use of data and the Results-based Accountability (RBA) framework.
- Training – Help develop and lead regular courses for staff on the RBA framework and on the use of data tools like Google Sheets and Google Data Studio.
- Integrated Budget and Performance Process – Work with program, budget, equity, and community engagement staff to support a budget process that integrates data, performance and accountability and community engagement.
- Performance Strategy Facilitation – Participate in facilitating a structured process with departments or community based on the Results-based Accountability (RBA) framework.
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a passion for finding creative ways to understandably communicate complex information. They will have strong analytical skills, be a creative problem solver, be curious, self-motivated, dedicated to continuous learning, and highly adaptable. This person will be both an independent contributor and work on a team.
To be successful in this role, applicants will have at least 2 years of experience with data presentation tools such as Google Data Studio, Tableau, etc., as well as dashboarding tools like ArcGIS Performance Management, at least 2 years of experience in data interpretation and at least 1 year of experience writing for an audience. The willingness and ability to learn additional GIS presentation tools such as ArcGIS StoryMaps, knowledge in project management and expertise in data analysis utilizing creative presentation methods and statistical literacy is also required.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
To be considered for this exciting position, please submit a cover letter.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm with occasional evening or weekend work as needed to engage with members of the community.
This position is open until filled, with applications being reviewed daily.