Closing: December 21, 2017
Salary Range: up to market rate of $87,342 DOQ
The City of Charlotte’s Office of Data and Analytics drives excellence citywide through collaborative problem-solving based on data, information, and evidence. We work across city departments and with community partners to meet strategic goals, solve challenging problems, build a more effective government, and improve outcomes for the people who live and work in Charlotte.
The Office of Data and Analytics is seeking a Data Program Manager to lead the cross-departmental Data Program, compile and analyze data for analytics projects, and facilitate the use of data and information across the city for creative problem-solving, strategic planning, continuous improvement, and community engagement. The Data Program Manager will work closely with city departments and partner organizations/institutions including county and state, regional research institutions, the business community and nonprofits, and the local civic tech community.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the cross-departmental Data Governance Team in the development and adoption of data policy, processes, and technical standards; manage dataset inventory and prioritization of datasets to be shared internally and externally.
- Coordinate across city departments to facilitate data sharing and data integration for citywide solutions.
- Partner with external stakeholders to identify new data sources and cultivate opportunities for collaborative problem-solving.
- Coordinate and support the continued development of the City’s external data/engagement tools including the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Quality of Life Explorer, Virtual Charlotte, and the Open Data portal.
- Develop and deliver training to city staff on a variety of data topics as part of OpEx Academy, the city’s peer-led training platform.
DATA ANALYSIS & BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE
- Integrate and prepare large, varied datasets from internal and external sources for analysis and visualization.
- Analyze spatial and non-spatial data using a range of methods and strategies; communicate findings through presentations, dashboards, web maps, story maps, and other compelling visualizations.
- Turn data into actionable insights that support decision-making; work with and across departments to determine priorities, define metrics, and share data through dashboards and reports.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree and major course work with an emphasis in public administration, mathematics, business, social or behavioral science, statistics, computer science, geography/GIS or related field, and seven (7) years of experience or a Master’s Degree with four (4) years of experience in analysis/statistical research, or equivalent combination of education, work experience, and relevant industry/job specific knowledge, skills, and/or certifications may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven experience managing mixed-discipline, decentralized teams.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate, clean, analyze, and interpret data from disparate data sets.
- Proficiency with software programs that aid in data access and preparation, statistical analysis, and graphical presentation of data (for example, Excel, GIS, R, SPSS, SAS, Python, SQL, Tableau, etc.).
- Must have excellent attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, and project management skills.
- A collaborative leader with a good sense of humor, a love of numbers, a passion for cities, and a curiosity about the world.