Closing: Open until filled
Salary Range: $93,140 – $148,780 annually
The City of Richmond’s Department of Finance seeks an experienced and highly qualified candidate for the unclassified senior leadership position of Deputy Department Director, Senior to plan and organize compliance and planning efforts associated with financial reporting and financial systems. Richmond’s Department of Finance has a staff of over 100 full-time positions and an
FY2022 budget of over $10 million. The successful candidate will provide assistance to the department director in setting the strategic direction and management oversight to ensure implementation of Mayor and City Council goals, policies, and performance expectations. The incumbent will make interpretive decisions on behalf of the organization regarding the means for executing the goals established by the Director. The incumbent may serve as Director in the absence of the Director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directing, managing, and supervising staff; supporting staff by providing guidance on program administration and project management; performing supervisory duties such as performance evaluations;
- Managing compliance function, monitoring monthly and annual financial reporting, responding to audit recommendations;
- Coordinating the Commissioner of the Revenue and Treasury functions of the Finance Department’s revenue administration;
- Preparing, reviewing, editing, and approving various documents, reports, contracts, agreements expenditures, packets, ensuring proper reporting;
- Working with various internal and external departments on special assignments or projects; coordinating projects as needed;
- Preparing presentations for council, and public meetings; conducting, attending, and participating in various internal and public meetings for planning, reporting and public engagement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comprehensive (8 years or more) knowledge of principles, methods and practices of public administration, municipal finance and budgeting; applicable laws, ordinances, regulations and policies governing the finance management of a government agency.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of program development and administration of municipal accounting and budgeting.
- Considerable knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
- Skilled in analyzing problems, identifying and implementing solutions.
- Skilled in providing leadership and overseeing all aspects of a program or project to completion.
- Skilled in strategic planning and enhancing employee engagement.
- Skilled in interpersonal communication, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a wide variety of professional budgeting, financial, and management analysis work.
- Analyze data and draw logical conclusions.
- Interpret and apply related laws, ordinances, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Experience creating and implementing a shared vision with staff.
- Experience professionally representing a department and organization and presenting at public meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public administration or field directly related to assignment;
- Eight years of progressively responsible related experience that includes significant management and supervisory experience;
- Some departments may prefer a Master’s Degree in a field directly related to the assignment;
- Some positions may have additional specialized requirements;
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification.
Preferred Qualifications and Training:
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting, or related field;
- At least three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in local government;
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) experience is preferred;
- At least six (6) years of management experience;
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is a plus;
- Possess solid working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles;
- Demonstrated experience working with public boards, commissions and/or legislative bodies;
- Program creation and management, and project management;
- Excellent public presentation, leadership, time management and organizational skills.