Hiring Range: $109,179 – $136,427 annually
Greenville Utilities Commission (GUC) is an award-winning local utility providing electric, gas, water, and wastewater services to the residents and businesses of Greenville, NC and the surrounding communities. We are your neighbors, and we are dedicated to our mission of enhancing the quality of life for those we serve by providing safe, reliable utility services at the lowest reasonable cost, with exceptional customer service. Our dedicated team members are committed to doing their best for our customers and co-workers every day. We recognize that our employees are our most valuable resource and encourage innovation and promote excellence through lifelong learning. GUC employs a staff of approximately 475 team members and produces approximately $270M in annual operating revenue.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leadership for the Financial Services Division of the Finance Department, whose work includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, utility accounting, budgeting, auditing, cost accounting, and financial reporting and analysis.
- Strategizing and directing accounting and disbursement functions.
- Monitoring the Greenville Utilities functions for appropriation control and budgetary accounting, disbursement, and financial reporting.
- Developing, analyzing, and maintaining the utility’s budget, identifying cost savings opportunities, and authorizing expenditures.
- Directing accounting, financial reporting and analysis, cost accounting, internal controls, inventory control, fixed assets, and auditing.
- Assisting with financial planning and analysis.
- Planning and assisting with audits.
- Reviewing accounting policies and procedures and recommending changes which are designed to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of accounting operations.
- Coordinating overall accounting activities.
- Studying present accounting practices to ensure conformance with established policies and procedures applicable to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOC).
- Further developing internal process to create uniformity of financial transactions across the organization.
- Collaborating with internal and external staff and business partners.
- Over nine years’ related experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
The ideal candidate will possess proven experience and success in managing people, financial services, timely and accurate financial reporting and analysis information, and the efficient and accurate processing of financial transactions and payroll, with exceptional skills in leadership, communications, process management, data management, computer processes, and excel at working in a fast-paced team environment.
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team setting and encourage employee productivity
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of internal and external staff and business partners
- Ability to strive for continuous improvement