Closing: Open until filled
Want to make an impact on your community by helping to fund services that will benefit your neighbors and friends? Come work for the “Best in Class” Mecklenburg County Government in its nationally renowned Office of Management & Budget (OMB). OMB, which is often sought out by other governments for our best practices, is recruiting to fill a Budget Analyst position.
Bring your skills to bear in innovative ways to enhance the quality of life for residents in your community. In addition to having a positive impact on public service, we invest in our employees! Each budget analyst has a dedicated professional development allocation to attend local, state, and national trainings and conferences to enhance your skills. Our team has a long track record of serving on numerous boards and committees including the NC Local Budget Association and the Government Finance Officers Association.
OMB is an organization that develops leaders. Our office consists of a credible team of experienced budget analysts who are great advisors, mentors and quality trainers.
We take pride in having a vibrant diverse workplace culture that ranges in ethnicity, gender, and generations. We have a workplace culture that is based on an inspirational set of organizational values that include trust, creativity, teamwork, and empowered employees who are involved in decision making.
- Works with assigned departments on budget development and projects to include assisting in the establishment of goals and objectives
- Analyzes financial and other data, including revenue, expenditure, and employment reports.
- Provides recommendations to leadership based on analysis.
- Participates in research and analysis projects to develop sustainable, repeatable and quantifiable business process improvements
- Researches best practices to develop recommendations for processes that increase productivity and help to reduce overall cost
- Responds to requests from County or local municipality government
- Gathers and organizes information about the problem to be solved or the procedure to be improved
- Holds regular discussions with key department staff and conducts on-site observations to determine the methods, equipment, and personnel that will be needed
- Develops solutions or alternative practices
- Recommends new systems, procedures, or organizational changes
- Makes recommendations to management through presentations or written reports.
- Confers with managers to ensure that the changes are working
- Works in environment that will require serving on a team of enterprise management analysts to complete major assignments
- Provides consulting, project management, training and support to assigned agencies
Education: Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field and two years of related professional experience.
OR Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field and four years of related experience
Equivalent Experience for Education Accepted? Yes
Licenses and Certifications: N/A
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Experience in government/public sector (local government experience preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of principles of public administration including organization, public policy and fiscal management
- Ability to effectively handle confidential/sensitive matters and effectively communicate orally and in writing with all levels of the organization
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Business English, spelling and arithmetic
- Financial systems and/or statistical analysis tools
- Project management and research principles and resources.
- Budgetary principles
- Performing budget analysis and conducting research
- Microsoft Office products to include advanced Excel and PowerBI
- Communication – Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Collaboration – Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Initiating Action – Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Facilitating Change – Encouraging others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Compensation & Benefits: In addition to a competitive salary, Mecklenburg County offers a generous benefits package which greatly increases your total compensation. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, short term disability, long term disability, accident, cancer, critical illness, medical bridge and pet insurance; dependent care, healthcare and commuter flexible spending accounts; health savings account; paid holiday, vacation and sick days; near site clinics for preventive care and illnesses; an employee discount program which provides discounts for retail, dining, shopping, travel, tickets and more; an employee assistance program including financial and legal counseling; access to Mecklenburg County fitness and aquatic facilities; paid family leave; tuition reimbursement; a 5% employer match on retirement savings plan contributions and a defined benefit plan for retirement.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.