Closing: Open until filled
Salary Range: $86,270 – $128,445 annually
Under general direction of the Administrative Services Director, performs responsible professional work regarding the Town’s financial management and related operations; performs related work as required. This position is classified as exempt under the Executive Exemption and is not subject to the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes and carries out financial management of the Town which includes treasury management, debt service, accounting, auditing, budgeting, planning, and reporting.
- Supervises Finance staff members in accordance with the Town’s personnel policy.
- Develops departmental goals and objectives and records related measures.
- Advises the Administrative Services Director on pertinent matters pertaining to Town finances and operations of the department.
- Prepares the Town’s annual operating and capital improvement program budgets.
- Compiles requests and estimates for presentation at budget committee meetings.
- Presents proposed annual operating budget to Finance Committee and Town Council.
- Monitors budget expenditures.
- Prepares budget amendments and budget transfers.
- Responsible for preparation of the annual budget document and submission to Government Finance Officers Association.
- Prepares monthly financial statements.
- Prepares long range forecasts of revenues and expenditures as required.
- Presents financial forecast information to Town Council as instructed.
- Prepares required monthly, quarterly and annual reports pertaining to the Town’s finances.
- Ensures Town financial records and reports comply with established and accepted municipal accounting principles and practices.
- Provides sufficient detail to produce adequate cost, financial and statistical data for management purposes and to meet statutory requirements.
- Validates the disbursement of all Town funds in accordance with officially established procedures.
- Responsible for pre-audit duties for the Town.
- Assists external auditors with annual audit.
- Assists auditors in preparing the Town’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Responsible for Town investments.
- Administers the Town’s debt service program.
- Serves as the Town’s Grant Administrator.
- Ensures that all state and federal laws are complied with in administering grant funds.
- Responds to a variety of citizen inquiries and complaints as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of general laws, ordinances and administrative policies governing municipal financial practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the Town’s financial program, policies, records and related practices.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and budgeting in local governments.
- Ability to formulate and install standard accounting methods, procedures, forms and records, including internal auditing.
- Ability to prepare informative financial reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with Town employees and governmental officials.
- Ability to perform fiscal planning and to advise the Administrative Services Director on the formulation of fiscal policy.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business management, or related field required.
- Considerable financial management experience; local government financial experience preferred; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.