Closing: 5/31/2021 5:00pm EST
Salary Range: $95,000 – $115,000 annually
Middleburg is a historic community situated in southwestern Loudoun County. The Town is home to approximately 800 residents, who treasure its sense of authentic community and quaint, small-Town feel. As the commercial hub for southern Loudoun and northern Fauquier Counties, Middleburg boasts a diverse service, retail, and hospitality-based economy. Examples include the recently awarded 5-star Salamander Resort & Spa, as well as the Red Fox Inn & Tavern, America’s oldest original Inn. The Middleburg economy includes numerous restaurants, boutique retail options, and locally-owned businesses who support the community’s needs. Middleburg is known for its picturesque countryside, with horses and stone walls being a common sight in the surrounding areas. The Bull Run and Blue Ridge mountains create a scenic backdrop that perfectly complement the Town’s charm and warmth you’ll receive. Find out more about our Town at www.middleburgva.gov.
Middleburg is a full-service Town government with 15 full-time Town employees, including a 24/7 police force. The annual Town budget is approximately $5.2 million, which includes the general fund and the utility system operations. Meals Tax and Lodging Tax account for more than 50% of the Town’s General Fund revenues, primarily driven by tourism and visitor spending. In addition to police, the Town provides water and wastewater utilities, solid waste and recycling collection, planning and zoning, business and economic development services, and other citizen services. The Town is governed by a Mayor and 7 Councilmembers, who also appoint numerous advisory Boards and Committees. The Town Council is focused on strategic planning, innovation, business enhancement, protecting quality of life, and customer service. The Town is embarking on a number of key initiatives, including long-term financial planning, development of a true Capital Improvement Program, and business process improvements. The Town is designing and in the process of financing a new Town Hall building, which will be the largest capital project in the Town’s history. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Town Council created a Strategic Finance Committee to ensure the Town’s financial position would be prepared to manage economic downturns. This resulted in fiscal policies that have allowed the Town to maintain a strong position during the pandemic, even projecting that the Town will end the current fiscal year with a healthy surplus. While Meals and Lodging Taxes decreased in spring 2020 due to required operational shutdowns, business in much of the Town has returned stronger than pre-pandemic levels, representing the safe and desirable nature of Middleburg as a destination for local and regional travelers. The Town is taking a conservative approach to revenues in FY2022, but at this time activity levels in the Town indicate the likelihood of positive return of revenues throughout FY22.
The Town of Middleburg has an immediate opening for a full-time Finance Director who will also function as the Town Treasurer. This key leadership position is responsible for financial planning and analysis, budgeting, cash management, accounting and financial reporting, debt management, procurement, and other municipal finance-related tasks. The Town is seeking a dynamic leader with a desire to make a positive impact on a historic, tight-knit community.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage the receipt and accounting of all taxes and other monies and revenue due and payable to the Town, and make the deposits in such bank or banks as the Council may direct.
- Ensure all expenditures are appropriate and accounted for, properly recording all disbursements of Town funds.
- Provide strategic analysis and regular reports on the current and future financial status of the Town, to include long-term planning to ensure the ongoing fiscal health of the Town.
- Partner with Department Heads to ensure that the annual budget process is conducted in a strategic and purposeful manner, to include development of key performance measures.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, report the statements to the Council on a monthly basis, and ensure that the Departments are within the authorized budget amounts.
- Prepare bi-weekly Town payroll, including receipt of employee time sheets and payment of all payroll taxes and insurance premiums.
- Manage the water/sewer accounts, record any changes, and oversee the preparation of bi-monthly water/sewer bills.
- Implement continuous process improvement by using technology and evaluating business practices.
- Provide supervision to the Office Manager/Accounting Assistant, who is the primary customer service representative of the Town.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance or a related field.
- Treasurer certification or training is desirable. The Town provides professional development support for those seeking to achieve certifications.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in accounting practices and procedures, payroll and benefits management, revenue and accounts payable management.
- Experience with government financial systems and budgeting strongly preferred. The Town uses Southern Software Financial Management System (FMS).
- Experience as a Treasurer or Deputy Treasurer preferred.
- Proficiency in word processing, database management, and financial management software.
- Exceptional accuracy required.
- Good oral and writing skills.
- Customer service skills, including ability to handle difficult situations.
- Supervisory experience of front desk or customer service functions is desirable.
Compensation and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $95,000—$115,000 depending upon qualifications and experience. The Town also provides a comprehensive benefits package including participation in Virginia Retirement System, paid leave, life, disability and health insurance.
Application and Selection Process: Qualified candidates please submit your cover letter and resume online by visiting our website at: https://bakertilly.recruitmenthome.com/postings/2903. This position is open until filled; first review of resumes occurs on May 31, 2021. Following this date, applications will be screened against criteria outlined in this brochure. For more information, please contact Anne Lewis at email@example.com or (703) 923-8214.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The chosen candidate will also perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned and required by the Town Manager. The Town reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need
arises. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks of this job. This job description does not constitute a written contract of employment.
The Town of Middleburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).