Closing: Open until filled
Salary: See State Salary Schedule
Performs difficult professional work assisting in the development of the annual budget, coordinating and supervising job responsibilities for the office, preparing reports for the School Board, County and other internal departments and monitoring system’s cash position, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Chief Finance Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Chief Finance Officer in keeping the accounts of the local administrative unit in accordance with all rules and regulations.
- Maintains the general ledger on a daily basis including all journal entries, budget amendments, chart of accounts and reconciliations to ensure balances are correct.
- Assists in the preparation of the budget at the direction of the Chief Finance Officer.
- Responsible for the daily maintenance of the school payroll accounting system, timekeeper approval for the department.
- Assists in fiscal year end close out procedures and annual audit.
- Maintains a continuous internal control program for all funds.
- Assists in the preparation and filing of statements as requested by the Superintendent, the Local School Board and the State Board of Education.
- Assists in supervision of daily Finance Department activities, monitors compliance with finance goals.
- Conducts a monthly review of budget versus actual expenditures – monitors the MFR report and research variances.
- Prepare and monitor state allotment forecast and perform a State allotment – Pre EOM pay review.
- Supervises, trains and monitors the accounting records of the Special Funds of the Individual schools.
- Perform projects, tasks as assigned by the Chief Finance Officer.
- Reconcile State and Capital Cash Accounts.
- Construction and QSCB – Board Construction Report, GL transactions, budget, budget amendments, balancing and reconciliation.
- Monitor and order cash for the school system and assist in reviewing checks, drafts and State warrants.
- Prepare and monitor school rosters, responsible for OMB certifications, coordinate the allotment process.
- Liaison for the exceptional children’s program- budget, questions, maintenance of fiscal effort.
- Liaison for the Kids:Plus and CNP departments – budgets, monthly monitoring, concerns, questions.
- Liaison for the Federal programs – budgets, monthly monitoring, SURF, BUD, questions, concerns.
- Responsible for the Board Function report.
- Performs other related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the laws and administrative policies governing school budgeting and financial practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of school administration.
- Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal school funding statutes and programs.
- Ability to prepare and maintain complex fiscal records and systems.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software packages, hardware and peripheral equipment.
- Ability to develop and present complex ideas in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school officials, associates, parents and the general public.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in finance, accounting, business, or related field and considerable experience finance, accounting or business management, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified Public Accountant Preferred