Closing: 7/18/21 11:59pm EST
Salary Range: $70,485 – $105,727 annually
An employee in this class leads, advises, and partners with senior leadership to plan, organize, develop, and implement improvements to programs and processes to enhance organizational efficiency and effectiveness. Work includes providing leadership in establishing goals and priorities as part of the strategic planning process; monitoring implementation of the Strategic Operating Plan; monitoring Village-wide performance using the performance measurement system; directing and managing service and process improvement projects; developing policies and programs; and evaluating data and trends. The employee serves as a member of the Village’s senior leadership team and works in concert with the Village Managers to develop a climate conducive to organizational excellence. Work requires sensitivity to the needs of the total municipal organization and advising senior leadership on a wide range of issues and programs. Work is performed under the administrative supervision of the Village Manager and is evaluated through periodic conferences, observation of results achieved, success and cost of projects, and review of records, reports, and files.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Facilitates, coaches, mentors, develops, and works with Village staff and various teams across the organization in planning, designing, directing, and accomplishing performance reviews and improvement projects to create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Leads the implementation of the Baldrige Excellence Framework; trains Village staff on Baldrige concepts; identifies, develops and implements organizational improvements; works closely with staff in developing performance benchmarks.
- Leads the development of the annual Strategic Operating Plan and works with Village Council and senior leadership to establish outcome goals and define clear strategies for measuring performance results.
- Oversees the development of efficiency and effectiveness performance measures, targets/goal, and scorecards that are aligned to the Village’s Strategic Operating Plan to provide meaningful data and information to decision makers.
- Tracks the results of programs and services, verifies the accuracy of data, and correlates data to support fact-based decision-making and manage day-to-day operations.
- Prepares an annual State of the Village Report and presents to Village Council.
- Researches and identifies national best practices and comparative and competitive data; evaluates findings against current operational processes; and makes recommendations to senior leadership for modifications to improve efficiency, effectiveness and customer service.
- Trains and educates the organization on continuous improvement concepts and methodologies.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of effective performance improvement concepts and methodologies.
- Considerable knowledge of performance measurement systems and performance measurement techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of organization development and organizational psychology including knowledge to create a climate of support, engagement and performance excellence.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of leadership including collaboration, empowerment, communication, motivation, performance coaching, and conflict resolution.
- Considerable knowledge of the organization’s budgeting, personnel and purchasing policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of the application of information technology in the public sector.
- Skill in public speaking, meeting facilitation, change management, consensus building, and problem-solving.
- Ability to build effective teams and lead diverse groups to consensus.
- Ability to help develop long term plans and goals for the Village and provide management with target dates, costs, and implementation strategies.
- Ability to think and plan systemically.
- Ability to articulate the Village’s position on matters and recommend policy at the strategic level.
- Ability to draft policies with appropriate justification and implementation strategies and procedures.
- Ability to innovate.
- Ability to analyze facts, programs, trends, and costs and make recommendations, solve problems, and prepare comprehensive performance reports in oral and written forms.
- Ability to communicate effectively with managers, other government officials, employees, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of all activities and management discussions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with Council, Managers, department heads, Village staff, and citizens.
Completion of a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, or related field and considerable successful experience in public sector management; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in public or business administration or related field is strongly preferred.
Safety: This position requires enforcing and following all Village of Pinehurst and OSHA safety regulations.