Closing: Open until filled
Salary Range: $63,138 – $78,000 annually
- Directs regular and temporary staff in the operation and maintenance of City parks and facilities, and general grounds keeping activities including cleaning, removing trash, sweeping, raking, etc.; instructs work crew in safe work practices pertaining to use of tools and chemicals, exposure to human body fluids and hazardous materials.
- Assists in long and short-range parks planning; works with contractors, architects, and other government officials in park design and plans for development of park facilities and natural and physical features; develops division operating and capital budgets; monitors expenditures; oversees the purchase of all division equipment and supplies; analyzes data and adjusts operational parameters to improve efficiency; prepares reports for supervisor; maintains records and files.
- Inspects park and recreational facilities and equipment periodically to determine basic needs; prioritizes equipment, maintenance and building requests; collaborates with other division personnel to coordinate repairs to buildings, facilities, rest rooms, and equipment, as needed; ensures compliance with regulatory agency requirements.
- Researches grant funding, prepares grant applications, administers grants; prepares bid specifications and proposals; negotiates with vendors and contractors; evaluates programming through review of participant evaluations and public comment; determines cost-effectiveness and profitability of programs; seeks community involvement through the recruitment of volunteers and sponsors.
- Oversees the recruitment and selection of Parks Division personnel; recommends candidates for hire; assigns, directs, trains and inspects the work of staff; rewards, disciplines, coaches, counsels and evaluates staff performance; reviews time and attendance records; develops staff schedules; recommends transfers, promotions, suspensions, terminations, and demotions; develops policies and procedures.
- Serves as liaison to city management, advisory board, Council, other departments, community/civic organizations, boards and commissions, committees, government agencies; provides direction to various committees and task forces; receives and responds to customer complaints.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques necessary for the efficient and effective administration and management of the Parks Division
- Applicable Federal, State, and Local rules and regulations pertaining to the administration and management of the Parks Division, and in interpreting them, reading and interpreting various manuals
- Preparing detailed, complex technical reports and related documents
- Use of standard office equipment and related software
- Thorough knowledge in the operation of equipment associated with the position, reading and interpreting diagrams, maps and policies and procedures
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinates
- Communicate effectively in oral and written forms
- Make mathematic computations, compute rates, ratios, and percentages
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, regulatory agency representatives, customers and the general public
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major coursework in parks and recreation management, sports administration, leisure services or related field and considerable experience in the area of parks and recreations maintenance or closely related fields such as landscaping, horticulture, or trades, including supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license upon hire. Must meet and maintain all certification, license and training requirements for position.
For more information on the application process please go to the Employment Process.