Closing: Open until filled
Hiring Range: $44,355 – $56,552 annually
Performs intermediate skilled technical work processing bi-weekly payroll and employee deductions, establishing and maintaining employee files and records, developing and submitting reports to state and federal regulatory agencies, reviews and reconciles benefits invoices from vendors, performs research on various payroll issues for policy considerations, work with human resources staff to resolve individual employee concerns, manages payroll processing system, and related work as apparent or assigned. Position is also responsible for maintenance and supervision of ExecuTime, the Town’s online time and attendance system. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Finance Director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll for 160 to 200 employees, including processing payroll-related accounts payables, and maintenance of payroll- financial records.
- Resolves payroll related discrepancies with departments and employees.
- Prepares various payroll reports for review including W-2s, withholdings, IRS Form 941, ESC SUTA, NC-5Q 941, etc.; prepares annual survey and payroll estimates for the North Carolina League of Municipalities to estimate workers’ compensation insurance premiums.
- Prepares and submits various payroll reports (e.g. leave accruals, overtime, etc.) to departments.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciliations as necessary for payroll and benefits.
- Prepares staff utilization reports for various grants and programs, as needed.
- Provides back up support to the Program Support Assistant II as needed (e.g., greets the public, answers the telephone, receives payments for fees and services, processes incoming and outgoing mail., etc.
- Reviews employee benefits enrollment and invoices from benefit providers for billing accuracy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of payroll systems and benefit program administration and the associated methodologies, processes and terminology; thorough knowledge of bookkeeping terminology and methods and accounting techniques and practices; general knowledge of standard office procedures, practices and equipment; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to follow detailed work procedures; ability to post accounts and to perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy; skill in the use of personal computer and a variety of office machines; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience: Associates/Technical degree with coursework in accounting, bookkeeping, or related field and 3 to 5 years’ experience in payroll management/administration and processing, and accounting work, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special Requirements: Experience with Tyler Technologies’ ExecuTime, Time and Attendance system desired.