Starting Salary: $53,362 annually
An employee in this class manages and directs the operations and maintenance of public service buildings, streets, sidewalks, curbing, rights-of-way, water and sewage piping systems, and other municipal infrastructure. Work includes planning and organizing work of supervisory and non-supervisory staff, preparing annual and multi-year budgets, assessing and reporting conditions of streets and sidewalks, reports on status of construction and repair projects, and fulfilling goals and objectives established by the Town Manager. Work also includes establishing preventive maintenance schedules and training staff in effective construction and maintenance requirements. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Town Manager and is evaluated based on achieving performance objectives.
Examples of Duties:
- Plans, organizes, and directs assignments of work crews maintaining streets including patching and resurfacing potholes, failed areas, top patching water and sewer cuts and culverts, repairing or replacing broken water or sewer lines, construction or remodeling facilities, and other maintenance issues
- Develops annual budget for operations as well as multi-year capital improvement plans; approves subcontracts for various trades functions; determines materials required for projects and creates or approves all purchase orders.
- Interviews, selects, trains, and evaluates personnel; approves leave and time records of employees; promotes and authorizes continued training of staff in multiple areas of work to enhance skills; takes or recommends disciplinary actions up to and including dismissal.
- Reviews and approves maintenance of equipment including trucks, heavy equipment, mowers, and related equipment
- Prepares project reports and appears before management committees and Town Council to provide information or explain other issues
- Identifies and inspects needed replacement or repair of storm sewers on rights-of-way; determines need for repair or replacement or cleaning of catch basins and grates and maintenance needs for sidewalks; determines condition & quantity of sidewalks to maintain
safety and access
- Supervises debris removal from streets and sidewalks; determines methods of prevention and removal and assigns personnel and equipment to priority areas; supervises special projects in construction with other departments including construction and maintenance, road widening, parking lots.
- Receives public citizen complaints regarding services and responds with corrective measures and explanations
- Supervises the Water Treatment and Sewer Treatment Plant Superintendents, oversees hiring, promoting and training of staff, facilities and operations of these facilities.
- Performs related work as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of building construction and maintenance, snow and ice removal and control, water drainage systems, water and sewage piping construction and maintenance, and asphalt and concrete pavement maintenance
- Thorough knowledge of various federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to the work performed including those related to worker safety, environmental regulations, and engineering construction
- Thorough knowledge of fundamental soil characteristics of the region
- Thorough knowledge of the operational, maintenance, and safety characteristics of all equipment utilized in the department
- Thorough knowledge of management and maintenance of collection and distribution systems
- Thorough knowledge of Wells and water treatment
- Thorough knowledge of Waste Water Treatment plant operations
- Thorough knowledge of safety regulations when work is in a high vehicle traffic environment
- Thorough knowledge of locating underground utilities
- Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budgeting, purchasing, and developing capital improve plans
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of organizational management and principles and practices of supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of employees, citizens, business representatives, other governmental officials, and elected officials
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of employees; ability to establish performance objectives and evaluate personnel on their performance; ability to perform work of subordinates as required due to staff shortages or based on skill sets acquired
- Ability to establish department goals and develop measurement criteria sufficient to identify attainment of objectives
- Ability to train employees in the proper operation and maintenance of specialized equipment
- Ability to develop and manage an annual operating budget and multi-year capital improvement plan
- Ability to interview, hire, train, and discipline employees within the guidelines and legal parameters and personnel policies
- Ability to respond to emergency work requirements and work long hours
Graduation from high school or GED equivalency and five (5) or more years supervisory and management experience in the construction and maintenance of streets, buildings, grounds, facilities, water and sewage piping systems, and facility management, wastewater and well
operations; or any combination of related training and experience sufficient to perform the essential duties of the position.
- NC Driver’s License
- Water, Collections, or/and Wastewater certifications desirable