Closing: Open until filled
Hiring Range: $54,580 – $69,576 annually
The Community Development Department promotes thriving, livable neighborhoods in Durham. We work with lenders, developers, builders, community organizations and residents to enhance the quality and availability of affordable housing. We empower low-income and first-time home buyers to secure and remain in housing. Our talented, creative and committed staff make this happen. If you share our commitment to quality affordable housing, collaborative work and serving our community, join our team!
Work Days/Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The Senior Community Development Analyst is responsible for professional and administrative work involving housing and community development programs and projects that support neighborhood stabilization. As a skilled professional, the Senior Community Development Analyst leads and assists as needed with the planning, coordination and management of projects that promote affordable rental and for sale opportunities and/or deliver important community services. The Senior Community Development Analyst’s main function is as a project manager for small scale affordable housing projects, down payment assistance, and community services in the City of Durham. The position reports to the Manager of the Neighborhood Stabilization Team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with affordable housing developers and service providers, to ensure open communication, provide technical support and share important regulatory and compliance updates.
- Support development and dissemination of department-issued Request for Proposals and Requests for Qualifications for affordable housing development, homeownership assistance and community development.
- Review proposals for project funding and complete project underwriting for development projects, including examining project sources and uses of funds to determine that the costs are reasonable, assessing current market demand in the City, and evaluating the qualifications and capacity of developers.
- Draft contracts for housing and community services projects projects, including meeting with subrecipients to discuss terms and conditions and preparing memos for City Council review.
- Oversee contract execution and project startup once project is approved for funding.
- Monitor project implementation through review of reports and invoices, meetings with developers and completion of site inspections, to ensure that project is on track, identify any potential risks to the project and/or to the City and ensure that subrecipient invoices accurately reflect work that has been completed.
- Oversee compliance with applicable Federal and City funding requirements before and during project implementation, such as completion of environmental reviews, and Davis-Bacon and Section 3 requirements.
- For development projects, oversee internal closeout of construction phase and transition of project from Neighborhood Stabilization Team to Compliance and Fiscal teams for ongoing financial and affordability monitoring.
Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration or directly related field.
Five years of professional program administration and/or analytical experience in the areas of housing development and community development.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Master’s degree in business, city planning, architecture or related field.
- Experience with underwriting homeownership projects and/or underwriting home buyers applying for down payment assistance or mortgage loans.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Access, Outlook, and other programs in the Office 365 environment.
- Familiarity with HUD funding programs, particularly HOME and CDBG.
- Demonstrated ability to work in diverse communities with a variety of community stakeholders.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational/project management skills.
- Strong customer service skills, for both internal and external clients.