Closing: 4/25/2021 5:00pm EST
Salary Range: $56,787 – $77,075 annually
Performs difficult professional work in the maintenance and preparation of complex fiscal and financial records; performs difficult technical work in the areas of financial accounting and reporting and financial information and management systems within the Financial Services Department; does related work and special assignments as required.
Work is performed under periodic general supervision of the Assistant Financial Services Director. Indirect supervision and accountability may be exercised over peer and subordinate liaisons in other departments as well as members of the financial services department regarding accounting and information systems.
- Works closely with the financial services management team to execute critical strategic projects; anticipate, identify, and define system accounting problems, identify potential consequences, and test solutions;
- Assists with Financial Services Department’s risk management responsibilities;
- Assists in the preparation and review of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, implements GASB statements, and coordinates actuarial studies;
- Assists auditors as needed in completion of the annual audit;
- Coordinates the month-end close to ensure that the general ledger has complete and accurate data for monthly financial reporting;
- Prepares general ledger entries and complex year-end reconciliations;
- Maintains general ledger accounts, analyzes data, and prepares financial reports for outside agencies;
- Verifies, reconciles, and records AR from various cash basis systems to record modified accrual;
- Coordinates with Information Technology staff to provide support and ongoing tracking and monitoring for financial services related projects (includes helping prepare documentation, test for outcomes, provide resolution, and make recommendations for design changes where applicable);
- Participates in the analysis, evaluation, and implementation of or upgrades to financial ERP and systems that interface to financials;
- Recommends and implements process improvements that strategically add value related to systems and general financial services department operational efficiency;
- Consults with departments on the development of new services, methods, or procedures;
- Gathers and analyzes information related to current and future trends and best practices;
- Assists with the maintenance, design and installation of the accounting control records and reviews internal controls over financial accounting systems;
- Provides inter-departmental financial assistance and supporting analytical work in the areas of financial reporting, project monitoring;
- Prepares and evaluates performance management scorecard matrix for all divisions of the Financial Services Department;
- Assists with the training program for the Financial Services Department;
- Verifies, reconciles, and prepares general leger entries and complex reconciliations for multi-year capital projects and write-offs;
- Reviews and/or creates accounting procedures and interprets and applies laws, regulations, and policies;
- Researches and provides financial data upon request;
- Cross-trains and provides backup in other departmental responsibilities;
- Performs related tasks as required;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- NC Driver’s License Required
- Years of Experience: 4 years of experience in accounting and financial analysis
- Special skills: proficiency with Microsoft Excel is necessary
- Schedule requirements: M-F 8-5
- Certifications: CPA or NCLGFO
- Special skills: experience with governmental accounting; strong problem solving and analytical skills; ability to analyze, evaluate, and implement financial systems; excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work independently with limited supervision; and ability to work well with others.
Hearing/Speaking – Expressing and/or receiving information by means of spoken word are both necessary to converse with internal and external customers including co-workers, citizens and applicants.
Visual Abilities – the ability to perceive via eyesight is required for this position:
- Acuity, far – clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. Must be able to see from a distance when administering and observing employment tests, operating a motor vehicle or addressing an audience.
- Acuity, near – clarity of vision at 20 inches or less. Must be able to see work-related business documents close at hand.
- Depth perception – Three-dimensional vision and the ability to judge distance and space relationships.
- Field of Vision – the area that can be seen up and down or to the right or left while eyes are focused on one point. Must be able to see a wide span of area.
- Accommodation – Must be able to adjust the eye lens to glance quickly.
Physical Strength – degree of physical demands typically associated with this position include:
- Light Work
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally; and/or
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force frequently; and
- A negligible amount of force constantly to handle or move materials related to the position
- Type of Physical Demands
- Reaching – Extending the hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Handling – Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand(s).
- Fingering – Picking, pinching or otherwise working with fingers primarily rather than the entire hand or arm.
Reasoning: Ability to apply principles of logical thinking combined with knowledge of principles and practices of public personnel and employment laws to work tasks and handle practical situations, comprehend and respond to a variety of situations in a timely fashion and exercise good judgment.
Mathematics Ability: Using arithmetic and/or statistics: Ability to direct and oversee the use of arithmetic and/or statistics in the preparation of a variety of tests and reports.
Language Ability: The ability to speak, read and write the English language are required for this position.
Physical Surroundings: Subject to working inside.
Disclaimer: This job description may not be all-inclusive, as jobs evolve over time to meet the ever-changing needs of the City of High Point’s workforce. This job description is not intended to and does not create a contract or offer of employment to any individual. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the City of High Point. Candidates selected for employment must pass a background screening as well as a pre-employment physical to ensure medical clearance to perform the essential functions of the job prior to receiving a full offer of employment.
The City of High Point is an at-will employer and employees may be terminated or may terminate their employment at any time with or without reason for any reason not prohibited by law.