Closing: April 19, 2016
Hiring Range: $55,397 – $64,000
The purpose of this position is to manage, coordinate and develop activities involving fiscal and resource management. Fiscal management involves the preparation and administration of the departmental operating and capital improvement budgets, including the monitoring and evaluation of budget application. Resource management involves creating and monitoring the department’s performance measurement and work plan system; aligning resources to support program missions or changes.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates and manages financial planning for the department – short-term and long-term.
- Coordinates and manages development and updating of departmental long-term planning (5-year City projection, 10-15 year planning horizon for department).
- Develops revenue and expenditure projections.
- Consults with directors and managers on budget related issues.
- Manages departmental budget by overseeing and monitoring expenditures.
- Analyzes spending and spending requests, produces budget reports.
- Prepares and analyzes financial statements; makes recommendations regarding accounting processes and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Meets with Operations personnel on department operations to be knowledgeable regarding financial issues.
- Directs and manages subordinate personnel.
- Prepares and processes account payables and receivables; prepares requisitions for approved purchases and payment of approved invoices.
- Leads development and updating of departmental strategic planning process
- Attends budget related hearings and meetings.
- Recommends and implements finance and budget related policies and procedures.
- Assists divisions with requests for proposals and contract development.
- Reviews and monitors management and operator agreements.
- Prepares agenda items regarding contracts for services within specific areas of responsibility.
- Formulates divisional policy through collaboration with division staff and customers;
- Coordinates activities with operational units with other City departments and public and private organizations.
- Attends internal and external meetings within the community relating to each area of operation; and represents the department at program related meetings of boards, committees, and other groups.
- Responsible for the development and management of departmental budget and presents the budget to Senior Management. Is authorized to approve budgeted expenditures up to the amount that requires the approval of Senior Management.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Four or more years of related experience, such as in budgeting or accounting.
- Three years of logistics experience or Solid Waste operational experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Valid North Carolina Class “C” Driver’s License.
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s Degree in accounting, business, public administration.
- Budget/financial management experience in a public sector environment.
- Knowledgeable of industry standard accounting and fiscal management practices and procedures including budget development and management.
- Proficient with creating reports, spreadsheets, developing Power Point presentations; and data management and analysis.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Prior experience in the use of MUNIS or similar enterprise resource management software system.