Closing: This position is open until filled; however, the initial screening of applications received will begin Friday, October 9, 2015.
Hiring Salary: $58,962 – $79,599
New Hanover County is seeking a Senior Strategy and Budget Analyst to become part of a dynamic, professional county organization with a clear vision as a vibrant, prosperous, diverse coastal community, committed to building a sustainable future for generations to come. This position is responsible for assisting the Chief Strategy and Budget Officer with the development, implementation, and management of the more than $300 million enterprise-wide budget to advance the county strategic goals and annual priorities.
This position manages the process for the preparation, presentation and publication of the New Hanover County operating budget and directs a team of professional staff in this objective. Responsibilities include day-to-day management of the enterprise-wide operating budget, position control monitoring efforts, and management consulting and analysis services. The ideal candidate is a team player who possesses excellent communication skills, critical thinking abilities, collaborative problem solving abilities, and people development skills.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent organization, time management, and project management skills.
- Ability to effectively build and maintain ongoing, collaborative, working relationships with co-workers and counterparts to achieve Departmental and County-wide goals
- Ability to identify and solve complex problems; innovate, plan and implement change initiatives
- Ability to tailor and adapt communications to the needs of the audience, verbally and in writing, to ensure understanding and build commitment
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience developing and giving presentations to individuals and groups using a variety of media tools
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong analytical skills; ability to analyze large amounts of data to determine trends and make recommendations to leadership
- Skill and ability in leading work teams and in developing the skills of others
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a positive “can do” attitude
- Ability to remain flexible to meet changing and sometimes opposing demands
- Ability to demonstrate superior customer service, collaborative and consultative working style, integrity, and creative problem solving and commitment to innovation, efficiency and accountability
Qualifications & Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration or Finance and at least six (6) years of closely related, progressively responsible budget experience.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office products; working knowledge of budget and financial systems; thorough knowledge of principles of public administration including organization, public policy and fiscal management; Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy or Business Administration; experience in leading work teams; extensive project management experience; experience implementing budgets with a Human Resource / Finance / Budget ERP system (experience with MUNIS financial system a plus).