Closing: December 13, 2019
Anticipated Hiring Range: $75,000 – $104,000 annually
The City of Raleigh, North Carolina’s state capital and the second largest city in North Carolina, invites applications from highly skilled candidates to apply for this exciting position.
The successful candidate will provide overall leadership and support of the City’s strategic plan and the City’s performance measurement and program evaluation programs. The Strategic Planning and Performance Manager will engage with elected officials, senior executives and departmental staff and exercise independent judgment and initiative based on a comprehensive knowledge of strategic planning, performance measurement and municipal government policies and practices. Work will include collaboration with departments, assistant city managers and the City Manager to align department strategic planning efforts, performance measurement, and resource allocation plans with citywide plans and Council focus areas.
The Strategic Planning and Performance Manager will have strong interpersonal and facilitation skills, knowledge of strategic planning and performance measurement practices and experience working within organizations with established strategic plans and performance-based cultures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides expert strategic planning and performance management advice and assistance to the City Manager, City Council, City Departments, and the public.
- Supports the Budget & Management Services Department and the city with organizational change efforts and development by assisting city staff in developing and implementing the citywide strategic plan, departmental business plans, benchmarks, performance measures and targets.
- Assists the City in developing and managing a performance management system, starting with the creation of performance measures and targets with the objective of a meaningful and robust performance reporting system.
- Partners with Budget staff to identify opportunities for organizational performance reviews of City operations with the greatest potential financial, strategic or operations impact.
- Conducts and oversees organizational reviews to identify strengths and weaknesses and to evaluate operational effectiveness.
- Builds capacity and skills within the City for continuous organizational improvement.
- Assists the City Manager’s Office in reporting progress of the city’s strategic plan to the City Council and public.
- This leadership position serves as visible champion of City strategic planning and implementation efforts and communications both internal and external to the organization.
- Responds to inquiries from the press, City officials, and the public regarding the strategic plan and citywide performance.
- Makes recommendations regarding budget priorities to align resources to meet strategic priorities.
- Coordinates/Facilitates assignments and work related to strategic planning support and analysis among budget analysts. (May supervise staff.)
- Ability to effectively partner with executive staff, build consensus, and deliver ambitious strategic planning milestones.
- Ability to use data to influence strategy and innovation.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, or degree related directly to assignment area. Master’s degree in public or business administration is strongly preferred and six years of related professional planning experience and two years of supervisory experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
Additional Qualifications Desired
- At least five years of increasingly responsible management experience with responsibility for organizational strategic planning and performance management, preferably in the public sector.
- Experience developing and facilitating cross-disciplinary teams and integrating meeting design principles.
- Experience developing and managing performance measurement systems that track and report progress on strategic plan performance outcomes.
- Experience in survey design and statistical analysis is preferred.
- Knowledge of current best management practices in the field of strategic planning and performance measurement.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of organization theory, public administration, budgeting concepts and practices, contemporary management practices, practical concepts of organizational planning and performance, and strong capabilities to motivate and persuade individuals and groups to action.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of governmental financial management, governmental budgeting, and service efforts and accomplishments.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of performance, data processing, performance management concepts, methodology and implementation techniques, including balanced scorecard.
- Knowledge in developing/managing original research for business organizations including survey development, analysis of results into actionable forms, and presentation of research and results to executive audiences.
- Knowledge of high performance organizational principles.
- Knowledge of management techniques and the ability to apply them to create effective and efficient service.
- Ability to collect, compile, analyze and interpret data. Strong quantitative analysis capability including mastery of business statistical techniques.