Closing: 3/4/2021 11:59pm EST
Salary Range: $64,915 – $100,620 annually
Join one of the highest fiscally rated entities in the country. The City of Durham’s Finance Department promotes sound management and stewardship of taxpayer dollars by helping the City Council, City Manager and City departments manage their financial resources and leading risk management administration and training. If sound fiscal management is what you’re about, join our team! Devoted to providing fiscal support and professional fiscal analysis and management for the City’s accounting, treasury, budget, payroll, and accounts receivable/payable support. Provide first-level supervision to a minimum of two or more professional level (exempt) employees or oversee a large department financial function and paraprofessional staff.
Responsible for providing input into management objectives, establishing work goals and objectives of a unit to carry out management direction, and selecting the method to address a problem or issue, subject to the constraints established by management objectives and direction.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervises and manages department financial operations related to Treasury and General Billing & Collections; supervises and trains staff; establishes unit work goals and objectives; establishes and evaluates financial controls; monitors financial transaction processing, programs, tools, and systems; monitors financial condition; develops and implements business process changes; and ensures compliance with contracts and applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Supervises and manages the preparation of and prepares, maintains, and submits complex, financial, analytical, economic, and other reports, spreadsheets, records, files, agenda items, and other documents; oversees research, analysis, and/or reconciliation of information; creates and maintains financial models; prepares or oversees the preparation of financial forecasts and projections; and develops and makes recommendations.
- Manages and/or serves as a liaison to City leadership, auditors, and City departments, and/or external agencies; convenes, facilitates and serves on committees; provides professional subject matter expertise and consultation regarding financial information; investigates and resolves staff, operational, project, customer, and other related issues; and assists with management of department operations.
- Supervises professional, paraprofessional and support staff including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, and discipline and termination procedures.
- Overseeing the financial assets of the City.
- Managing the City’s investment portfolio, cash needs, debt portfolio, revenue billing and collections.
- Manages financial institution relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field,
- Five years of professional accounting/financial experience in work related to assignment
- Two years of supervisory experience, which may include serving in a lead capacity on projects, demonstrating an ability to influence and lead a group and ensuring work is compliant with approved procedures and processes.
- Proficiency in MS Excel
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Degree in Finance, Business, Masters or MPA preferred
- Experience with ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems, MUNIS experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to engage staff and effect change management.