$75,000-$90,000 | Closes 8/10/15
Wake County Budget and Management Services (BMS) seeks a Budget Manager to assist the Director with the development, implementation, and management of the enterprise-wide operating budget. Responsibilities include day-to-day oversight of operating budget management and development processes and functions, such as management of the annual operating budget development process, centralized budget and position control monitoring efforts, and budget, management and policy analysis. The position will be visible with presentations to the Director, Deputy County Manager, Leadership Team and the County Board of Commissioners.
This job may include the following job duties and is not an all-inclusive list of all job duties that may be required. Employees will be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
• Manages the preparation, presentation and publication of the Wake County operating budget. Provides coordinated support and analyses to Budget Director and County Manager’s Office to develop the Recommended and Adopted operating budgets. Directs a team of professional staff in this objective.
• Responsible for the day-to-day management of the enterprise-wide operating budget. Administers central budget and position control monitoring and analysis efforts. Oversees preparation and execution of Board of Commissioner approved budget amendments to ensure budget integrity.
• Coordinates and directs operating budget expenditure and revenue projections and analyses.
• Seeks innovative and creative solutions to budget issues based on comprehensive knowledge of local government principles, policies and practices.
• Coordinates and collaborates with other internal service departments to develop and implement the annual operating budget.
• Manages a portfolio of Department assignments. Evaluates funding and program requests. Reviews and executes budget adjustments, contract approvals and position authorization actions in accordance with organizational policy. Provides management consulting and analysis services.
• Conducts special projects as assigned by the Director and the County Manager’s Office.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
• Excellent organization and time management skills• Ability to communicate information in a manner suited to the needs of the audience, either verbally or in writing to ensure understanding • Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience developing presentations and ideas to individuals or groups using a variety of media tools • Ability to build and maintain ongoing, collaborative, working relationships with co-workers and counterparts to achieve the goals of the work unit • Must be detail-oriented and possess strong analytical skills; ability to analyze large amounts of data to determine trends and make recommendations to leadership • Ability to identify and solve complex problems; innovate, plan and implement change initiatives • Skill and ability in leading work teams • Must have excellent interpersonal skills • Ability to develop plans to accomplish work operations and objectives • Strong appreciation and demonstration of teamwork • Ability to remain flexible to meet changing and sometimes opposing demands • Ability to demonstrate superior customer service, collaboration, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency and accountability
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration or Finance and six years of closely related, progressively responsible budget experience.
Preferred Experience, Skills and Training:
Proficiency in Microsoft Office products; working knowledge of budget and financial systems; thorough knowledge of principles of public administration including organization, public policy and fiscal management; Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy or Business Administration; experience in leading work teams; project management experience; experience implementing budgets with a Human Resource / Finance / Budget ERP system.
Salary Minimum: $64,750
Salary Maximum: $110,250
Hiring Range: $75,000 – $90,000