Closing: August 30, 2019
Salary Range: $92,937 – $111,524 annually
The City of Durham is seeking an experienced individual to serve as the Assistant Budget Director for Strategy and Performance. This position is located in the Budget and Management Services department and reports to the director. This position is responsible for coordinating the City’s strategic planning, performance management and continuous improvement initiatives and oversight of the City’s Innovation Team (I-Team). This is accomplished by providing leadership to the development and implementation of the Citywide Strategic Plan, consultation and facilitation to departments on strategic planning methodology, plan development and implementation, and ensuring alignment of departmental plans to citywide goals and initiatives; coaching departments through linking Strategic Plans to Budget and Operational Plans; overseeing the City’s performance management program and overseeing the City’s I-Team in collaborating with internal departments, other governmental organizations, residents and other organizations to identify solutions to complex problems through qualitative research, human-centered design, behavioral science and data analysis.
Successful candidate will possess local government budget and strategic planning experience and will be an innovative, strategic and proactive leader, with a record of gaining results through collaboration, employee and community engagement and accountability. Strong leadership skills including high levels of consultation and collaboration with executives, employees and the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and coordinate the development and implementation of the City’s Strategic Planning, Performance Management and Continuous Improvement initiatives. This is accomplished by supervising staff, programs, activities and services, providing professional consultation to department heads and staff, and presenting status reports.
- Manage and monitor work performance of a division including evaluating program/work objectives and effectiveness, establishing broad organizational goals and realigning work and providing information to Budget Director; City Management; City Council; coordinating public meetings; and leading resident and staff committees to help the City prioritize its needs based on the strategic plan and performance.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement efforts across the organization as well as help identify and address issues related to the financial health and operations of the City.
- Provide oversight of the Bloomberg Innovation team by developing vision and projects, assigning work, and identifying internal and external partners. This work involves relationship building with community stakeholders and meeting with residents to develop problem definitions and solutions.
- Support Citywide Initiatives such as coordinating Strategic Plan Goal teams, the annual Resident Survey, employee IdeaStarter campaign, IdeaLab, and serve as the Alliance for Innovation Ambassador.
- Provide executive leadership within BMS and citywide. Assist with strategies to accomplish the goals and mission of the department, while addressing emergent issues at the direction of the Budget Director and Executive Leadership Team.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration or a directly related field and
- Nine years of progressively responsible related professional experience that includes significant management and supervisory experience.
- Master’s degree in public administration or related field
- Local government, budget and strategic planning experience