Closing: May 23, 2019
Hiring Range: $58,400 – $76,650 annually
Want to make an impact on your community by helping to fund services that will benefit your neighbors and friends? Come work for the “Best in Class” Mecklenburg County Government in its nationally renowned Office of Management & Budget (OMB). OMB, which is often sought out by other governments for our best practices, is recruiting to fill a Budget Analyst position.
Bring your skills to bear in innovative ways to enhance the quality of life for residents in your community. In addition to having a positive impact on public service, we invest in our employees! Each budget analyst has a dedicated professional development allocation to attend local, state, and national trainings and conferences to enhance your skills. Our team has a long track record of serving on numerous boards and committees including the NC Local Budget Association and the Government Finance Officers Association.
OMB is an organization that develops leaders. Our office consists of a credible team of experienced budget analysts who are great advisors, mentors and quality trainers. So why is Mecklenburg County constantly in recruitment mode? Because there are endless opportunities for upward mobility within the organization – hence the need to consistently recruit talented individuals. After a successful stint with OMB, our team is afforded opportunities to become middle-managers, department heads, assistant City/County managers, and managers.
We take pride in having a vibrant diverse workplace culture that ranges in ethnicity, gender, and generations. We have a workplace culture that is based on an inspirational set of organizational values that include trust, creativity, team work, and empowered employees who are involved in decision making.
- Works with assigned departments on budget development and strategic projects to include assisting in the establishment of goals and objectives.
- Participates in research and analysis projects to develop sustainable, repeatable and quantifiable business process improvements.
- Researches best practices to develop recommendations for processes that increase productivity and help to reduce overall cost.
- Responds to requests from County or local municipality government.
- Gather and organize information about the problem to be solved or the procedure to be improved.
- Interview personnel and conduct on-site observations to determine the methods, equipment, and personnel that will be needed.
- Analyze financial and other data, including revenue, expenditure, and employment reports.
- Develop solutions or alternative practices.
- Recommend new systems, procedures, or organizational changes.
- Make recommendations to management through presentations or written reports.
- Confer with managers to ensure that the changes are working.
- Work in environment that will require serving on a team of enterprise management analysts to complete major assignments.
- Provide consulting, project management, training and support to assigned agencies
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in government/public sector
- Thorough knowledge of principles of public administration including organization, public policy and fiscal management.
- Ability to effectively handle confidential/sensitive matters and effectively communicate orally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of financial systems and/or statistical analysis tools.
Two years of related professional experience.
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field or Bachelor’s Degree in above areas and extensive progress working toward a Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in above areas and two years of related experience. Equivalent experience for education will be accepted.