Closing: August 30, 2019
Hiring Salary: $54,726 annually
Performs difficult skilled technical work reviewing and analyzing proposed budgeted expenditures, assisting with budget preparation, assisting with monitoring budget and expenditures, preparing and maintaining budget spreadsheets, records and files, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Budget Evaluation Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with assigned departments to prepare annual operating and capital budgets; prepares annual expenditure and revenue forecasts.
- Provides guidance and budget-related technical assistance to department directors and staff.
- Gathers, reviews, and summarizes information for the city’s benchmarking studies and cost analysis.
- Prepares special projects as assigned by management and council; prepares staffing studies, program evaluation reports, and other work assignments.
- Facilitates citizen boards/committees by preparing reports, conducting presentations, and providing technical support.
- Monitors current operating expenditures and revenues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and techniques of municipal accounting, finance and budgeting;
- General knowledge of the functions and operations of municipal organizations;
- General knowledge of the state laws and local ordinances applicable to budget preparation, approval and administration;
- General knowledge of research techniques, methods and procedures;
- Ability to analyze and develop budget estimates;
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume;
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry;
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in public administration, public finance, accounting, or related field and considerable experience in operating and capital budgeting, performance measurement, program evaluation and knowledge of local governmental budgeting practices.
- Master’s degree (MPA) strongly preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.