Salary Range: $68,428-$102,642 annually
Under limited supervision, performs highly responsible supervisory, administrative, and fiscal control work for County government. Work involves managing the development, implementation, processes, and reporting of the County’s operating and capital budgets; developing and maintaining the county-wide revenue manual; managing the staff, resources, and operations allocated to the Budget Division of the Administrative Services. Work also involves developing, synthesizing, and projecting the cash flow ladder based on annual budget, five-year projections, CIP, debt issuances, etc. and performing various analyses, organizational financial reviews, and other special projects. Employee must exercise considerable independent judgment and initiative in planning and managing an extensive fiscal control system. Employee must also exercise tact and courtesy in frequent contact with employees, elected officials and representatives of outside agencies and organizations. Reports to the Executive Director, Administrative Services.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages and oversees the daily activities of Finance department staff responsible for County budget management, projects, and analysis; prioritizes and reviews the work to assure work quality and the timely accomplishment of assigned duties and responsibilities. Selects, trains, supervises, mentors and evaluates the work of assigned staff. Develops, revises, and implements goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards.
- Assists staff and departments with accounting questions, general ledger processes, etc.; review/approve/authorize journal entries, payment requests and various periodic reports prepared by staff.
- Assist departmental Directors and staff with various matters including budget, contracts, purchase orders, general ledger access, general ledger questions, general ledger reporting, etc.
- Manages and oversees the daily activities of Budget Division staff responsible for County budget management, projects, and analysis; prioritizes and reviews the work to assure work quality and the timely accomplishment of assigned duties and responsibilities. Selects, trains, supervises, mentors and evaluates the work of assigned staff. Develops, revises, and implements goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards.
- Assists budget staff, Executive Directors, and departmental staff with budget; contracts and purchase orders requisitions; personnel action pre-audits; reporting, and processes. Reviews, approves, authorizes, and/or pre-audits journal entries, budget transfers, payment requests, purchase order requisitions, contracts, personnel action pre-audits, and various periodic reports prepared by staff. Assists with the preparation of and review of management prepared reports and presentations.
- Reviews and balances personnel count data per adopted budget and amendments in cooperation with Personnel Department staff.
- Prepares departmental budget and CIP request packages and instructions; and works with management regarding transmittal letter for the package. Trains the departments on the budget request package/directions and associated software. Assist departments with various budget related questions, analysis, etc. Reviews staff analysis of data submitted by departments and next year budget requests. Assist with final review of requests and compilation of Management financial reporting.
- Reviews staff preparation of departmental and fund budget summaries and related budget change explanations. Analyzes budget module data and prepares fund balance projections and budget ordinance. Assists management with the preparation of the budget transmittal letter. Compiles the budget document for distribution and the web- site.
- Compiles budget request submissions and reviews for funding recommendations. Estimates current and projected revenue sources for budgetary impact based on the funding model.
- Prepares the Government Finance Officers’ Association (GFOA) Distinguished Budget Presentation Award application.
- Reviews revenue and expenditure related forecasts from the State, NCACC, NCLM, etc. for impacts to County budget.
- Compiles and reviews prepared Monthly Management Reports. Analyzes historical and current balance sheet and income statement data; gathers current and projected income statement inputs from departments, vendors, State, etc.; prepares projected balance sheet and income statement reports for Management review; and provides interpretations of data.
- Analyzes revenues and prepares current year-end estimates for compliance with the annually adopted budget (as revised). Prepares budget amendments for approval by the BOCC to maintain compliance with annually adopted budget (as revised). Analyzes revenue/expenditures and prepares long-term projections.
- Prepares current, estimated, and projected expenditures, revenue, and source needs for the Health, Dental, Workers’ Compensation, Property & Casualty, Separation Allowance, and OPEB Funds. Prepares projections for charges and rates to be recommended and utilized in the adopted budget.
- Monitors and reviews prepared estimates for Fleet Management, Information Technology, and Facilities Management Funds; and prepares projections for charges and rates to be recommended and utilized in the adopted budget.
- Develops procedures for reviewing departmental processes, procedures, internal controls, etc. and conducts and/or reviews conducted operational reviews/audits. Analyzes departmental performance measures, objectives and budget requests and conducts management productivity and operation studies.
- Reviews departmental request and staff recommendations for the schedule of year over year budgetary rolls for contracts, purchase orders, projects, and program balances. Prepares schedule for management review/recommendation and County Manager approval.
- Reviews capital asset additions, deletions, and transfers as prepared by staff. Reviews capitalized interest rate and amounts for capital construction work in progress (CWIP) projects. Reviews and reconciles CWIP roll forward schedules of additions, closures, and capitalized interest prepared by staff. Reviews and/or prepares audit report notes and schedules related to capital assets and CWIP.
Additional Job Functions
- Responsible for monitoring and developing professional staff and direct reports.
- Develops, processes, and analyzes various reports.
- Answers questions posed by the auditors. Reviews staff prepared work papers of audit field work. Prepares, reviews, and analyzes interfund postings and transfers.
- Prepares and recommends schedule of departmental requests for year over year budgetary rolls for contracts, purchase orders, projects, and program balances.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the Budget and capital Database.
- Assists with software implementations as necessary.
- Monitors and maintains assigned sections of the Administrative Services section of the County website.
- Reviews and/or assists with cash flow planning.
- Preparation of the monthly financial report.
- Ensures timeliness of projects and information.
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to organizational Customer Service Guidelines and Service Area specific business processes and rules.
- Performs other related work as required.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Business or Public Administration, Accounting or other closely related field, and 5 to 7 years of managerial level accounting experience including 3 years supervisory experience, preferably in a governmental setting; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
Budget and Evaluation Officer certification or Certified Local Government Finance Officer preferred.