Closing: March 26, 2019
Hiring Range: $55484 – $77,678 annually
Wake County Department of Housing Affordability and Community Revitalization’s goal is to ensure that quality affordable housing is available and accessible for all Wake County residents. As the population and economy continue to grow in Wake County, the need for affordable housing development and preservation increases. Not only do more units of affordable housing need to be built, housing services must be provided to support families and individuals to access or maintain safe, decent, affordable housing.
Affordable housing is also critical to preserving Wake County’s economic competitiveness by offering housing for workers at all income levels, supporting housing stability and economic opportunity for its residents, and furthering Wake County’s commitment to healthy and inclusive growth. The Department’s programs include Community Revitalization, Development Financing, Homeless and Prevention Services, Emergency Shelter, Support Services and Permanent Supportive Housing.
The Housing Administrative unit ensures the financial and programmatic compliance for Federal grant and locally funded programs focused on affordable housing, permanent supportive housing, and homeless services targeting low-to-moderate income households.
Duties and Responsibilities
An integral part of the Department of Housing Affordability and Community Revitalization, this position is responsible for implementing the financial aspects of the Housing Director’s strategic vision in coordination with senior leadership and direct reports.
Essential Functions include:
- Ensures fiscal stewardship and financial compliance department-wide
- Annual creation and daily oversight of a $27 million budget funded through Federal, State, and Local sources
- Manages the Department’s contracts in coordination with the Finance Department and Attorney’s Office
- Onboarding and personnel management in coordination with Human Resources
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Detailed understanding of budgeting, financial management, and grant compliance with the skill to accomplish tasks and processes accurately, timely and through direct reports
- Knowledge of appropriate business practices and procedures – allocate resources, plan procurement and oversee budgets and contracts to ensure the fiscal stability of the organization
- Ability to provide effective department-wide financial leadership
- Demonstrated ability to establish work expectations and monitoring staff performance
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated successful ability to generate and implement innovative solutions in work situations
- Ability to manage several priorities simultaneously; Ability to establish and meet deadlines
- Critical problem solving and analytical thinking skills to identify, negotiate, and facilitate solutions by taking action to improve existing conditions and processes
- Ability to build solid cross-functional relationships internally and externally to identify and maintain partnerships and research best practices
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or related field
- Two years of experience in administration
- Equivalent education and experience combination accepted
- Four (4) years progressive responsibility up to the management of a department’s budget, finance, grants, and contracts
- Supervisor or team lead experience including recommendations on hiring decisions, coaching/mentoring staff, and performance evaluation input
- Experience interpreting policy; maintaining federal and state grant compliance
- Experience in reviewing business processes and implementing improvements
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Public Administration, Business Administration or related field