Latest Conference Updates
Good afternoon! We are nearing the 1-month countdown to the much anticipated NCLGBA 2019 Winter Conference in the beautiful mountains of Asheville, … Read More
Good Morning Local Government Budget Professionals: It is my pleasure to announce and encourage nominations for the 2019 A. John “Jack” Vogt … Read More
2019 Winter Conference Highlights
Inspirational and compassionate leaders from across the country will descend on Asheville, NC December 11th -13th to share their expertise and experiences with our great Association. Who are these inspirational and compassionate leaders you may ask…well I’ll tell you!
- Hailing from New York, Mitchell Silver, Parks Commissioner, is going to broaden our horizons in planning, parks, demographics, and development.
Word has it that a networking board game may be in the works!
- The highly requested leadership guru, Jeff Richardson, Albemarle County, VA, will be in the room. Jeff has been eager to get back to his old stomping grounds and is excited to share the latest and greatest leadership trends.
- Pack your popcorn and 3-d glasses because we are going to the movies! Well, they are coming to us. Check out this preview of All the Queen’s Horses and get ready to have a fun conversation on the ethical or not so ethical use of the public dollar.
2019 Winter Conference Registration
Registration for the 2019 Winter Conference in Asheville will open soon. If you need documentation of conference costs for travel pre-approval, check out this handy one-pager! The following links will direct you to online conference registration forms:
Please note that every attendee needs to fill out a registration form individually.
After you complete the form, a copy of your registration should be e-mailed to you (check your spam filters).
If you are paying by check, please include the e-mailed registration form with your check when you mail it to our Treasurer, Teresa Fulk, Town of Newport Finance, P.O.Box 1869, 200 Howard Blvd, Newport, NC 28570. The deadline for registration is Tuesday, November 19, 2019. Please e-mail Teresa Fulk or Christopher Williams and Paarth Mehta if you have any questions or concerns.
2019 Winter Conference Room Block is open!
The 2019 Winter Conference will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, Asheville, from December 11-13. The deadline to reserve a room at the group rate is Tuesday, November 19, 2019. The group rate is $129/night and check-in starts at 3:00 pm.
Reservations may be made via:
- Phone: 1-844-330-0296 or 828-285-2603
The Group Name is NCLGBA and Group Code is NLG.
Important Information on Cancellations: Cancellations must be received 72 hours prior to the hotel stay.
NCLGBA Conference Scholarship
The NCLGBA Conference Scholarship is oriented towards students and/or budget professionals attending a NCLGBA conference for the first time. Recipients receive full registration and hotel accommodations for the conference. More information on applying will be provided prior to the conference.
NCLGBA is now accepting applications for the 2019 Winter Conference Scholarship.
Should you apply?
- Do you have an interest in a career in North Carolina local government budgeting?
- Are you an active Master’s level student in good standing OR someone who has never attended a NCLGBA conference?
- If you are a student, are you within two years of completing a Master’s degree?
- Do you have a willingness to help generate content for NCLGBA’s website for the next six months (minimum of 2 stories)?
If you answered yes to the above questions: The application is available here and is due Friday, October 11, 2019. Submission details are included on the application. Recipients will be notified by Friday, November 8, 2019.
Please help us get the word out to any MPA student(s) and/or first time attendees you may know, and please apply yourself if you haven’t attended a conference before! Reach out to Christoper Williams with any questions.
Certified Budget & Evaluation Officer Exams
Exams for Budget & Evaluation Officer Certification will be held during the conference. More details will be provided closer to the conference.
Call for Authors
We are looking for a few individuals who would be willing to write for our Conference Recap Series following the 2019 Winter Conference. Recaps could focus on a single session, a recurring theme, or reflect on the whole conference experience. There are some great examples from past conferences here. Recaps should be approximately 300-1000 words.
If you are interested in contributing or have questions, please reach out to Heather Curry.
Accepting Speaker Nominations for Future Conferences
A great conference depends on the great ideas and help of our conference planning committee. NCLGBA volunteers relevant topics, scheduling interesting and innovative speakers, and facilitating sessions during the conference. This is a chance to serve in a leadership role with the NCLGBA, contribute to an important professional development opportunity, and network with other local government professionals. If you would like to nominate a speaker or suggest a session topic, please email us.