Closing: December 11, 2017
Salary Range: $59,674 – $87,546 Annually
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City’s square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Financial Systems Specialist position.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
The City of Alexandria’s Finance Department is looking for a detail-oriented, independent, customer-focused Financial Systems Specialist to join our team. As a member of the Administrative Services Division, the Financial Systems Specialist supports our financial operations by providing functional support for all financial systems. An employee in this position will work closely with department staff, City staff, and external vendors, to troubleshoot issues and facilitate solutions.
The Finance Department maintains dozens of financial systems to efficiently and effectively administer the diverse array of services involved in the City’s financial management. The Financial Systems Specialist directly supports the operations and employees of the Finance Department, from entry-level to department director, who are system end-users. As a primary point-of-contact for staff, vendors, and ITS officials, this position provides functional, responsive, and specific solutions for the department’s many information technology needs.
The Financial Systems Specialist works under the general supervision of the Deputy Director of Finance.
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate works well independently and on a team; is able to multitask in a fast-paced environment; skilled in communicating clearly and effectively (both verbally, in writing, and in group and individual settings); and willing to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and customers. Additional skills and abilities include:
- ability to thinking critically to analyze technical issues;
- experience and skill using, troubleshooting, and configuring financial systems;
- skilled at developing training manuals and materials for system end-users;
- ability to be proactive, reactive, and effectively multitask in a fast-paced environment;
- skill in working effectively with all staff (from director-level to entry-level), vendors, and other City departments; and
- skill at communicating in a professional, courteous, and effective manner, both orally and in writing.
The Opportunity – Examples of Work
- Functional support for all financial systems, to include interfacing with vendors and department staff;
- Establishing and troubleshooting all functional issues for employees and vendors;
- Serving as primary point-of-contact for department’s HelpDesk requests;
- Working with the ITS Department to establish software requirements and hardware requirements;
- Maintaining a good understanding of general accounting and financial reporting to successfully interface with the Accounting Division;
- Maintaining department inventories of systems and hardware access;
- Liaising at all levels with internal and external stakeholders;
- Planning, developing, executing and administering department-wide IT training for staff;
- Prepares project proposals for implementations and upgrades; and
- Performing related work as required.
About the Department
The City of Alexandria’s Finance Department is a fast-paced, diverse, and customer service focused operation that serves both members of the public and the other departments of the City itself. The Finance Department has seven divisions and in fiscal year 2017 operated with a total budget of $13.9 million and 104.5 FTE positions. The main responsibilities of the Finance divisions are as follows:
- The Revenue Division assesses personal property, meal sales, transient lodging and other taxes, and also issues business and professional licenses;
- The Treasury Division bills, collects, invests, and manages all City monies;
- The Real Estate Assessments Division appraises each parcel of real estate in the City, the value of which is used to bill for the real estate tax;
- The Purchasing Division is responsible for centralized City procurement;
- The Accounting Division maintains records on the financial operations of the City and prepares the City’s monthly and annual financial reports;
- The Pension Division manages pension plans for City employees; and
- The Administration Division provides executive-level strategy and direction via the Director and Deputy Director and also administers the department’s budget, human resources, and performance management. This division also provides risk management services for the City and manages the City’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, Munis.
Minimum & Additional Requirements
Two Year College Degree; working knowledge of City information management systems and previous experience providing technical support or training to end users; considerable experience in analysis of departmental activities and functions, and in the design of systems for accomplishing work through computer and telecommunications technology; completion of college-level courses in computer science, information management, accounting, and/or business administration or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Requires management/supervisory skills and customer support relationship skills, ability to interface with higher management as well as outside department vendors and agencies in support of department technology needs.
Four-year college degree; five (5) or more years of professional experience; three (3) or more years of financial systems experience; six (6) or more credit hours of college coursework in accounting; professional experience implementing systems training programs; professional experience using, troubleshooting, and configuring financial systems; thorough knowledge of project management, accessing methods, equipment types, applications, management principles, policies and system design approaches used in management information systems; good knowledge of departmental management information systems and related work processes; good knowledge of network and stand alone computer based systems, and of the methods and procedures used in operating those systems; skill in detecting, tracing and eliminating mistakes in computer programs; hardware failures, network interface issues, ability to coordinate and work effectively with key officials and employees; ability to train employees in the methods and procedures used in the operation of management information systems; ability to be a change agent to select products to assist department as well as city in reaching its goals; strong leadership and supervisory skills.
A cover letter detailing interest in the position is preferred as part of the application. This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to criminal records background check and reference check. The recruitment and selection process for this position may include a phone interview, panel interview, and written or technical exercise.