North Carolina Local Government Budget Officer Certification
Sponsored by North Carolina Local Government Budget Association (NCLGBA) and in partnership with the UNC School of Government (SOG), the Certified Local Government Budget Officers Program is designed to enhance the local government budget profession in North Carolina. Since 2009, the program has recognized individual achievement for an established level of knowledge on the topics of budgeting, performance, and evaluation.
Certification is achieved through a combination of professional experience and/or education, continuing professional education (CPE) requirements, and successful completion (score of at least 80%) of three examinations in the public budgeting field:
- Local Government Budgeting
- Capital Financing
- Performance Measurement & Management
Check out this video for an overview of the CLGBO certification process, narrated by former NCLGBA President Michelle Daniels!
Individuals who meet these standards of professional experience, courses, and exams are designated as Certified Local Government Budget Officers (CLGBO) by the North Carolina Local Government Budget Association (NCLGBA). An important aspect of this endeavor is that the certification program is consistent with the goals of the NCLGBA:
- To strengthen communications and provide opportunities for professional growth and development through the exchange of ideas;
- To investigate, study, discuss, and recommend improvements in the application of budget and evaluation methods;
- To collect, compile, and distribute pertinent information about the administration of budget responsibilities; and
- To promote, sponsor, and conduct training and education programs through the participation in Association-sponsored events and meetings.
How to Get Certified
Benefits & Value of Certification
Upcoming Courses and Exams
Information about the program is summarized in this document. If you have questions or need additional information about the certification program, please contact Bill Rivenbark.