Closing: December 1, 2019
Salary: depends on qualifications
Forsyth County Government is seeking a transformational leader to serve as an Assistant County Manager. The Assistant County Manager is responsible for assisting the County Manager with all aspects of county administration. This position serves a dual role and is also considered the Health & Human Services Director. Responsibilities rely more on general management competencies rather than being a subject matter expert in any of the assigned departments. The selected candidate must become a resident of Forsyth County no more than 180 days after the first day of employment as Assistant County Manager.
The Assistant County Manager is responsible for assisting the County Manager with all aspects of county administration. This position serves a dual role and is also considered the Human Services Director. Responsibilities rely more on general management competencies rather than being a subject matter expert in any of the assigned departments.
As the 4th largest county in North Carolina, with a population of 350,000, Forsyth County has over 2300 positions in 20+ departments and an annual operating budget of $458.7 million. Our mission is to cooperatively support and maintain a community which is safe and healthy, convenient and pleasant to live in, with educational, cultural and economic opportunities for all. We provide certain services which the Board of Commissioners has determined to be necessary and appropriate to advance this mission.
The ideal candidate will be a transformational leader and have thorough knowledge of the organization and functions of County government and must demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of State law and regulations affecting County government.
- Thorough knowledge of sources of information needed in preparing research reports and making administrative decisions.
- Ability to assist in the coordination of the efforts of various departments and agencies.
- Ability to explain County policies and procedures and to determine their effectiveness.
- Ability to deal effectively with government officials, the public, and other employees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Because of the team atmosphere in the County Manager’s Office, departmental assignments are subject to change. Primary duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and directing the work of the County’s human services programs.
- Provide direct supervision to several department heads and assist the County Manager with management and supervision of County departments.
- Oversee the Consolidated Human Services Agency which includes public health, social services, and County programs related to behavioral health, aging services, and court services.
- Serve as a convener and collaborator between the County and external agencies in an effort to provide quality services to the County’s citizens.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual County budget and in controlling expenditures.
- Serve as a liaison between the departments, the County Manager and boards.
- Attend meetings as a representative of the County Manager and presents to civic groups.
Minimum Education and Experience
The selected candidate must become a resident of Forsyth County no more than 180 days after the first day of employment as Assistant County Manager.
Graduation from a four year college with a degree in public administration, business administration, or a closely related field and five years of progressively responsible experience in a state or local government, including two years as a manager, assistant manager, or department head. A master’s degree in public administration or a closely related field preferred. A four-year degree outside of the relevant academic field plus additional years of relevant experience may also be considered. A valid N.C. Driver’s License is required.