Closing: Open until filled
Hiring Range: $58,402 – $74,447 annually
Join one of the highest fiscally rated entities in the country. The City of Durham’s Finance Department promotes sound management and stewardship of taxpayer dollars by helping the City Council, City Manager and City departments manage their financial resources and leading risk management administration and training. If sound fiscal management is what you’re about, join our team! Position is devoted to providing fiscal support and professional fiscal analysis and management for the City’s accounting, treasury, payroll, and accounts receivable/payable support. Incumbents serve as a designated subject matter expert, performing complex financial analysis and/or fiscal program administration, which may include providing level supervision to employees. Decision-making includes providing input into management objectives, establishing work goals and objectives of a unit to carry out management direction, and selecting the method to address a problem or issue, subject to the constraints established by management objectives and direction.
Responsible for monitoring and coordinating fiscal programmatic activities such as procurement; supervising and performing complex professional accounting duties; preparing complex analytical spreadsheets; monitoring expenditures and payments and correcting issues; serving as a liaison between different financial-related activities and/or units; conducting studies and analyses and making recommendations; approving/recommending approval of expenditures; and as assigned, incumbents may supervise a department fiscal unit or central financial/accounting staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs complex analysis and/or program administration, serving as a subject matter expert and consult; as assigned, supervises a department fiscal unit or central financial/accounting staff; monitors and coordinates financial programs; oversees and approves expenditures and payments; manages financial accounts and portfolios; develops and evaluates financial controls; manages projects; and ensures compliance with financial and other applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Prepares, reviews, approves, maintains, and/or submits complex, financial, analytical, legal, and other reports, spreadsheets, records, files, contracts, bid documents, and other documentation; performs advanced financial research for use in conducting studies and performing complex data analyses, financial modeling, forecasting and projecting; and uses data to develop and make recommendations.
- Coordinates with, and/or serves as a subject matter expert and consultant to, other financial units, vendors, City management and departments, and/or external agencies; responds to inquiries; leads special projects; participates in making policy- and procedure-related decisions; and investigates and resolves staff, operational, and/or customer dispute issues.
- Overseeing cash management for the City’s investment programs, debt management and issuance and banking services.
- Updating and reconciling portfolio transactions, transferring funds, receiving updates on market activity, coordinating debt payments and issuance and reviewing monthly statements.
- Consulting with bond attorneys.
- Managing banking services and software.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field
- Five years of experience in work related to assignments.