Hiring Range: $47,494 – $50,000
Come join the leading team in budgeting and innovation! The City of Durham is looking for a new Budget Analyst to join our Budget and Management Services department. Join our award winning department recognized by the ICMA, Alliance for Innovation, and recipients of 27 consecutive GFOA Distinguished Budget Presentation awards.
Provide an overall review of operational issues, administer and prepare City budgets, and manage analysis of City programs. This is accomplished by evaluating budgets, conducting cost-benefit, productivity, and management analysis, conducting research, evaluation, and assessment of City programs, and assessing community needs. Other duties include performing special projects as assigned.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops annual operating budget systems by gathering and analyzing data; demonstrating financial understanding; monitoring financial budgets; analyzing cost-benefit productivity and funding appropriation; and providing reports and documentation of annual budget.
- Performs special projects by planning and performing management analysis; providing budget analysis; communicating with other City employees and the general public; evaluating alternative solutions; and recommending actions and follow up tasks to a resolution.
- Provides staff support by solving analytical problems; analyzing information; developing conclusions and recommendations; improving departments’ financial understanding; and preparing financial reports.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Two or more years of related experience
Additional Preferred Skills
- Master’s Degree (MPA, MBA) preferred.
- Local government and enterprise system experience preferred.
- Knowledge of performance measurement / management, priority based budgeting, and using data to make budget decisions preferred.