Closing: 11/23/2020 6:59 AM Eastern
Salary Range: $55,466 – $73,186 annually
The Budget and Management Analyst position is responsible for providing support and analysis for the development of the annual operating budget. This will be accomplished through assisting with the preparation of budget materials, evaluation of departmental budgets, analysis of budget requests, assistance in the development of the Manager’s Recommended Budget, assistance with the development of the Capital Improvement Plan, working with departments on performance measures, along with various research and analysis projects.
WORKING HOURS M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM | FULL – TIME EXEMPT POSITION
- Develops annual operating budget systems by gathering and analyzing data; demonstrating financial understanding; monitoring financial budgets; analyzing fund appropriations; and providing reports and documentation of the annual budget.
- Compiles, reviews and analyzes data submitted for inclusion in the Town’s Capital Improvement Plan
- Analyzes and reviews budget expenditures and revenue estimates in order to ensure compliance with relevant laws and Town policies
- Provides guidance to departments on budget issues; responds to department questions and inquiries regarding budget issues
- Performs fiscal impact analysis
- Creates and maintains various tools for effective data communication
- Helps facilitate annual business plan process
- Works on annual business plan process
- Works with departments in the development and management of performance measures
- Serves as liaison to the UNC School of Government Benchmarking Project
- Assists with various research and analysis projects; prepares reports of findings; evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations; follows up on tasks to resolution
- Provides staff support by solving analytical problems, analyzing information, developing conclusions and recommendations, improving departments’ financial understanding, and preparing financial reports.
- Represents the department in meetings and on committees
- Performs other duties as required
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Principles, practices and tends in municipal accounting and budget preparation
- Principles, practices and trends of public administration and government accounting
- Principles and techniques of systems, statistical and procedural analysis
- Research methods and report preparation
- Trends and practices in budget development
- Relevant state and federal laws
- Relevant town ordinances, policies, and procedures
- Pay and benefit systems
- General accounting and bookkeeping practices
- Computerized systems for the maintenance of personnel and financial records.
- Solve problems and make sound decisions
- Perform mathematical calculations accurately
- Maintain accurate financial records and prepare reports
- Use a personal computer and various word processing and database software applications
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Gather facts, analyze and report research findings in a clear, complete, and logical form; Perform complex budget analysis
- Conduct studies utilizing statistical and spreadsheet software programs
- Model behaviors that are consistent with our value of RESPECT
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
Any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk with intermittent standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed in an office environment
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Accounting, Finance, Business, or Economics.
Experience: At least one year of experience in budget analysis.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: A valid NC driver’s and the availability of private transportation or the ability to provide transportation between job sites is required.