Closing: July 15, 2016
Salary Range: $27,662-$41,493 Annually
The City of Wilson is looking for a Budget Technician to join our Financial Services Department Accounting Team, which is nationally recognized for our commitment to outstanding financial and budgeting work, and has been the recipient of 26 consecutive GFOA Distinguished Budget Presentation awards. The City is known for its innovation, and the budget team works to prepare budget documents that provide for high level of services for our citizens in a fiscally responsible manner. The primary purpose of the Budget Technician is to perform work in analyzing, preparing, and monitoring the City’s budget. This position reports directly to the Controller.
The anticipated hiring range will be up to $30,000, depending on qualifications and will include a fantastic benefit package.
- Develops annual operating budget systems by gathering and analyzing data; demonstrating financial understanding; monitoring financial budgets; and providing reports and documentation of annual budget and 5-year capital improvement plan.
- Reviews, analyzes, and monitors the City’s operating budget by making monthly reviews of departmental revenues/expenditures and communicates with departments on issues.
- Collects financial and budgetary data to prepare reports including preparing estimates and projections; analyzes and evaluates departmental requests for budget submissions and amendments by reviewing validity and accuracy of information; performs mathematical calculations with skill and accuracy; all within established deadlines.
- Participates in budget training and review sessions for departments and provides on-going assistance to departments and responds in a knowledgeable, courteous, and professional manner to inquiries and requests for assistance.
- Additional and other duties as assigned.
To Compete in the Selection Process
To be considered for this position, applicants must have an Associate’s Degree (or equivalent) in Accounting/Budgeting/Finance. Preference given to Bachelor’s Degree in related field, and minimum two years related experience in governmental accounting and budget preparation is preferred. Applicants should have the following required knowledge, skills and abilities to succeed:
- High level knowledge of, and demonstrated competence in, using standard office equipment and computer software, particularly financial spreadsheet, word processing, and database programs, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and ability to create charts and graphs
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, plus accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to provide the highest level customer service and to maintain effective work- ing relationships with co-workers
- Organizes work well and is able to successfully prioritize when faced with multiple requests or demands, and demonstrates a high level of initiative including ability to work independently, accepts all responsibilities fully, and meets established deadlines
- Ability to accomplish work priorities and maintain a calm demeanor in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment
- Displays exceptional learning capacity and is self-motivated to be successful in duties