Note: This position is posted at two different levels, but the City seeks to fill only one position. Applicants may apply to either post, based on their education and experience.
Closing: September 19, 2018
Hiring Range: Business Services Manager level: $54,417 – $59,859 annually
Senior Business Services Manager level: $58,770 – $64,647 annually
The City of Durham’s Department of Solid Waste Management is seeking a Business Services Manager or Senior Business Services Manager. The Solid Waste Department provides curbside collection of trash, recyclable materials, bulky items and yard waste. The Department also operates a waste disposal and recycling center, including a transfer station, to meet the solid waste needs of City residents and commercial customers. The City currently processes and composts yard waste at this location, and is currently securing the necessary permit to allow the future addition of bio-solids and food waste. The City of Durham is committed to increased diversion of waste from disposal and sees composting as a key component in the process. This position will have lead responsibility for the fiscal and resource management of the department. The department is proud of its contributions in support of sustainable growth in the “Bull City”.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and manages financial planning for the department – short- and long-term;
- Coordinates and manages development and updating of departmental long-term planning (5-year City projection, 10-15 year planning horizon for department);
- Develops revenue and expenditure projections;
- Consults with directors and managers on budget related issues;
- Manages departmental budget by overseeing and monitoring expenditures; analyzes spending and spending requests, produces budget reports;
- Prepares and analyzes financial statements; makes recommendations regarding accounting processes and makes recommendations for improvements;
- Meets with Operations personnel on department operations to be knowledgeable regarding financial issues;
- Directs and supervises/manages personnel;
- Prepares and processes account payables and receivables; prepares requisitions for approved purchases and payment of approved invoices;
- Leads development and updating of departmental strategic planning process;
- Attends budget related hearings and meetings;
- Recommends and implements finance and budget related policies and procedures;
- Assists divisions with requests for proposals and contract development;
- Reviews and monitors management and operator agreements;
- Prepares agenda items regarding contracts for services within specific areas of responsibility;
- Formulates divisional policy through collaboration with division staff and customers;
- Coordinates activities with operational units with other City departments and public and private organizations;
- Attends internal and external meetings within the community relating to each area of operation; and represents the department at program related meetings of boards, committees, and other groups.
- Assists department officials with the planning of annual budget;
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Work closely as part of a management team;
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of industry standard accounting and fiscal management practices and procedures including budget development and management.
- Responsibility for the development and management of departmental budget and presents the budget to Senior Management. Is authorized to approve budgeted expenditures up to the amount that requires the approval of Senior Management.
- Proficiency with creating reports, spreadsheets, developing Power Point presentations; and data management and analysis.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
Business Services Manager level:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; Master’s degree in accounting, business, public administration, or related field preferred.
- Three or more years of related experience, such as in budgeting or accounting.
Senior Business Services Manager level:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in accounting, business administration, public administration, or related field; Master’s preferred.
- Four or more years of related experience, such as in budgeting or accounting.