Closing: Open until filled, with initial application review starting 9/20/21
Hiring Range: $51,322 – $65,000 annually
Catawba County is seeking a highly motivated and self-directed professional to serve as a Budget & Management Analyst. If you want to be part of a dynamic team focused on driving positive community change, this position may be what you’re looking for. The successful candidate will perform advanced professional management analysis and evaluation in the preparation and administration of the County’s operating and capital budgets. The ideal candidate will have on point local government experience and a demonstrated passion for public service that supports the mission and values of Catawba County.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide departments and County Management with complex management and research analysis used to drive organizational and budgetary decision-making.
- Perform thorough programmatic, service, and policy analysis of budget requests and make associated recommendations to County Management.
- Work closely with department heads to understand services, assist in developing budgets and outcomes, monitoring progress, and developing solutions to budget issues that arise during the year.
- Evaluate funding and program requests, develop alternatives in collaboration with department staff and recommend approaches.
- Forecast revenues and expenses for the development of the annual budget.
- Develop the budget document, presentations, performance dashboards, etc. used to message county services and performance.
- Assist County Management, departments, and outside agencies as appropriate with grant development, administration, and management.
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration or a related field and preferably 1 year of professional experience in public administration, budget, program or operational analysis; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public or Business Administration, Public Policy or a related field and 2 years of professional experience in public administration, budget, program, or operational analysis
- Preferred: MPA with experience working in a budgeting and/or management analyst role for local, state, or federal government
- Capacity to work collaboratively and build/maintain effective working relationships with staff in all levels of the organization, elected officials, and outside agencies.
- Impeccable judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions involving a variety of fiscal and business areas, and the ability to carry out that judgment with considerable professional and managerial discretion.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, including strong command of grammar and the ability to concisely communicate complex information while ensuring important details for decision-making are accurately reflected.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to turn complex information into easily consumable dashboards, infographics, etc.
- Independent and self-directed initiative and drive, with the capacity to learn new things / appetite to take on new challenges over time.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills, accompanied by a strong capability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously.
- Strong creative, analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to formulate recommendations/alternative ways of doing business that takes into account relevant viewpoints, alternative approaches, pros and cons.
- Ability to work effectively both independently as well as part of a team.
- High proficiency in computer use, particularly Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat products.