Closing: January 6, 2019
Salary Range: Up to $88,222 annually
The City of Charlotte’s Housing & Neighborhood Services Department is hiring for the position of Economic Development Program Manager.
This position is primarily responsible for: the compilation, maintenance, and analysis of data on housing and neighborhoods in Charlotte; management and enhancement of the Quality of Life Explorer indicators project; and serving as a liaison to the Citywide Data & Analytics Initiative.
This position reports to the Assistant Director of Housing & Neighborhood Services and works closely with the City’s Office of Data & Analytics.
Data Analysis & Business Intelligence
- Compile and maintain comprehensive data on affordable housing supply and demand in the Charlotte region to include subsidized housing units, housing market conditions, affordable and available units, and analysis of neighborhood change
- Create data dashboards and other decision support tools to track the City’s progress towards affordable housing goals and tell the story of how the City’s investments impact our community
- Provide data collection and analysis for program planning and evaluation across functional areas in the Housing & Neighborhood Services and Economic Development Departments including Housing, Code Enforcement, Community Engagement, CharMeck 311 and Business Grants
- Analyze spatial and non-spatial data using a range of methods and strategies; communicate findings through presentations, dashboards, web maps, story maps, and other compelling visualizations
Quality of Life Explorer
In collaboration with the cross-institutional Steering Team, manage the Quality of Life Explorer neighborhood indicators project (mcmap.org/qol) and guide its continued development and enhancement, to include:
- Project management to include maintaining project plan, schedule and timeline, monitoring contract with UNC Charlotte Urban Institute and Mecklenburg County, and convening the Quality of Life Steering Team.
- Annual data and metadata updates for 36 variables
- Serve as primary point person for training/presentations, outreach, communication, and technical assistance
- Facilitate use of Quality of Life Explorer by neighborhood and community groups for planning and advocacy efforts (e.g., Char-Meck Community Collaborative, Freedom Communities, Neighborhood Board Retreats).
- Integration of neighborhood indicators with other data and applications, such as cltex/
- Enhancement of data visualization and reporting tools available on the dashboard
City-Wide Data Program
- Participate on the Charlotte Data Co-Lab, maintain the HNS Dataset Census and Departmental Data Guide, facilitate sharing of HNS data, and champion the use of shared data to improve services, inform decisions, and solve problems
- Build capacity for putting City data to work within HNS and across the organization through peer training and technical assistance
- Attend Office of Data & Analytics team meetings and report out to Data & Analytics Director on work plan and activities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to integrate, clean, analyze, and interpret data from disparate data sets
- Proficiency with a variety of software programs that aid in data access and preparation, statistical analysis, and graphical presentation of data (e.g., Excel, GIS, R, SPSS, SAS, Python, SQL, Tableau, etc.)
- Must have excellent attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, and project management skills
- Strong communication skills, ability to translate data and research for diverse audiences, and experience engaging with residents and community groups
- Preferred experience in the analysis and use of housing, economic, and social science data sources
Bachelor’s Degree with five (5) years of relevant work experience or a Master’s degree with three (3) years of relevant work experience. Degree in data science, analytics, math, or statistics preferred.