Closing: Open until filled
Hiring Range: $59,899 – $89,849 annually
The Finance Officer plans and performs the disbursement and accounting of revenues and expenditures for the Town. Work involves performing the budgetary accounting, general ledger, financial reporting, accounts payable oversight and other fiscal task for the Town. The employee must exercise considerable independent judgement and initiative in performing the fiscal control responsibilities. Work is performed in accordance with established municipal finance procedures, local ordinances and North Carolina General Statutes governing the responsibilities of local government accountants. Work is performed under the direction of the Town Manager and is evaluated through conferences, reports and by an independent audit of financial records.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans and performs fiscal operations for the town including accounting of municipal funds, financial reporting, journal entries, general ledger maintenance, budgetary accounting, accounts
payable, fixed assets, cash investments, and advising the Board and Town Manager on fiscal issues
- Maintains the general accounting systems for the Town
- Maintains financial records for each department
- Maintains separate accounts for items of appropriation in the budget
- Reviews and monitors ongoing administration of the budget
- Monitors revenues and expenditures
- Oversees accounts payable to ensure appropriate coding & approval of invoices
- Performs a wide variety of financial reporting and monthly, quarterly and annual close outs and reconciliations
- Assists auditors during the annual audit and follows up on findings to improve financial systems
- Advises Town Manager and Board on fiscal issues
- Assists Town Manager with Budget Preparation
- Assists departments with purchasing, budget monitoring and analysis
- Prepares budget amendments
- Serves as risk management officer responsible for managing property and liability insurance programs
- Makes debt service payments and participates in financing strategy research
- Any other duties assigned by Town Manager
- Considerable knowledge of General Fund and Enterprise Fund accounting. The Town has a General Fund, Water & Sewer Fund, Electric Fund and Storm Water Fund.
- Expertise of public finance to include principals, practices, laws, regulations, and administration of the aforementioned
- Considerable knowledge of the application of information technology to financial management and reporting including use of special financial software packages
- Considerable knowledge of the Town’s budgeting and purchasing polices
- Ability to evaluate financial systems and formulate and install accounting methods, procedures, forms and records
- Ability or prepare complex and interpretive financial analyses
- Ability to design and prepare analytical or interpretative financial statements
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, departmental heads, governmental officials and with other town employees
- Accuracy and thoroughness in the analysis and preparation of financial records and reports
- Must be able to stand and sit for shift duration
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds
- Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures, to operate a computer and to determine accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned.
Desirable Education and Experience: Graduation with a Master’s degree in Public Administration or a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business, and considerable experience in professional public finance administration; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special Requirements: Ability and willingness to obtain North Carolina Finance Officer certification from the School of Government.
If you have any questions about this position you can call or email Ms. Dianne Seaford at (704) 785-1014 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to apply, you may do so by filling out an application at https://www.townoflandis.com/employment-opportunities-2/ and emailing it to email@example.com.