This is a re-post – previous applicants need not apply.
Closing: October 10, 2016
Hiring Range: $53,700-$75,000
The Fiscal Research Division (FRD) seeks dynamic individuals with strong analytical skills who can think quickly under pressure. FRD analysts are non-partisan and serve as the primary budget and finance staff to the North Carolina General Assembly’s 170 members as well as its funding and policy committees. The budget issues are complex, diverse and cross multiple subject areas. FRD analysts, along with other General Assembly non-partisan staff, have a unique opportunity to provide counsel to policymakers and participate directly in the policy development process.
- Working directly with Legislators to develop the State’s budget and other legislation
- Analyzing and publicly presenting information on existing and/or proposed programs and policies
- Providing accurate and reliable data and policy analysis
- Developing options to improve program efficiency and effectiveness
- Composing analyses on the fiscal impact of proposed legislation
- Providing support and analysis to Legislators in the drafting of budget and policy legislation
- Monitoring agency actions to ensure compliance with legislative intent
- Working objectively and impartially and adhering to strict confidentiality requirements
- Collaborating with teammates to directly support legislative committees, draft legislation, and make public presentations
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
To meet the duties outlined above, candidates should be flexible, highly-motivated thinkers and communicators. In addition, the following specific attributes are sought:
- Ability to maintain composure and work cooperatively under pressure with legislators, legislative staff, colleagues, and the public on a daily basis
- Clear and concise oral and written presentation skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for providing high-quality policy development and advice
- Willingness and ability to work extended schedules and to provide on-call support
- Comfort and proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint or similar products
Management prefers individuals who are:
- Energized about public policy and delivering nonpartisan objective policy analysis
- Creative problem solvers
- Skilled at quantitative analysis
- Excellent writers
- Equally capable of successfully working independently or in a team environment.
- Proficient public speakers
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- Education & Experience: We will only consider candidates with a bachelor’s degree plus three years’ experience in public policy work or a master’s degree plus one year of experience.
- Public Policy Background: Candidates are expected to have a working knowledge of government functions and experience in performing budgetary and policy analyses.
- Computer Skills: Candidates will be expected to demonstrate Microsoft Excel and Word proficiency in any potential in-person interview.
***NC General Assembly Positions are NOT SUBJECT to the State Human Resources Act***
Applicants must also include the following documents when submitting the application:
1. A detailed cover letter that must address:
a) all the applicant requirements listed above
b) employment or educational experience relevant to the position
c) reasons for interest in joining the FRD
2. A current résumé (maximum length – 2 pages)